PDA

View Full Version : ALEKS math?

AmyinWI
06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
has anyone used this? what can you tell me about it- is it all done online?

I'm considering it for my 5th grader, and possibly my 8th grader this fall.

MarieD
07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
My dd is using it now to get a head start on her 5th grade math (and try out the program). She is nearing the end of her free month trial, and we got an extra month by referring two other friends. So far she likes it and I am really happy with it. She does it independently, but I am always close by.

It is done on the computer, but you can generate worksheets and print them up. You can assign quizzes, and you can set the curriculum to match the standards of your state. You can see what has been mastered, and what the student is ready to learn next.

I plan to use it as the math curriculum for this coming year. Dd used Singapore all along, and did well with it, but I am wanting her to be more independent with math. I like that it works just fine on Mac.

After a month, I can tell you the pros are the fact that the child has control of what topics to cover in a given day, and can move as quickly or slowly as they like. If my dd finishes Level 5 quickly, she can immediately move into Level 6 and so on, as I am paying for the subscription to the site, not the individual level.

A major con is that there are no materials to pass on to another child or resell to recoup costs. With the cost of the program, that is a big con, if you have more than one child. They do have a multi child price break, so I imagine that helps to some extent.

ETA: the link (http://www.aleks.com/webform/pr-87) to a free month if you are interested in testing it out.

Cindy OR
07-02-2009, 10:38 PM
We did the free trial a couple of years ago. I thought it was good for practicing for standardized tests. But I did not think it was quality/worthwhile for teaching my child *new* math skills...in other words, I didn't think it substituted for good teaching. If I'd relied on it to *teach* my son math, I believe he would have really fallen behind over time.

Just our experience...

AmyinWI
07-03-2009, 01:59 AM
thanks for the replies. So do they have a lesson,and then problems?
I really think my 10yo might do well with this. she is not into textbooks at all. for the 4/5th grades is it colorful, interesting to catch their attention? My dd is a very visual learner. thanks

MarieD
07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
It does teach the student how to work out the problems. It is a complete curriculum. It gives definitions, and walks the student through the steps of problems. It will then give practice problems, and will have the student keep practicing that type of problem until the student has mastered it. It gives a pie chart to show how everything fits together, and to give a visual of what has been mastered. The program doesn't "talk to the student" like TT does, so the ability to read through the steps is important.

The administrator's site is wonderful, I track everything my dd does, and assign quizzes. The only thing my dd didn't like was the initial assessment because it took her a little while, and she was already in "summer vacation mode." The last thing she wanted to do was an math assessment. However, no that she's in the learning mode, she is enjoying it, and learning!

I would say, if you are considering it, use the free month trial. There's no obligation, and if you have two friends who would be willing to get an email from Aleks, then you get an additional month to really see how the program works.