PDA

View Full Version : Christian Kids Explore ___ (science series) ?

Denise H
07-01-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm looking at Christian Kids Explore Chemistry and Christian Kids Explore Physics as possibilities for my 8th grader next year. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these books or others in the series?
Thanks!

CINDY LB OH
07-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I used the Chemistry book when my dd was in 7th grade. I found it very simplistic and easy (not in a bad way-it was very nicely put together), geared more towards 4th-6th grade. If you have a very science-minded child then he will probably be bored.

Other than that it is a nice introduction to chemistry. You could beef it up for your 8th grader.

Kendall in GA
07-02-2009, 06:30 AM
They are great books, IMO; however, IMO, they are not appropriate for an 8th grader. I especially would not use it for an 8th grader interested in a science-based career.

Denise H
07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Okay, thanks! This was not what I was hoping to hear! :lol: I'll keep searching.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good science program for 8th grade? I know apologia is a popular choice, but after scanning a friend's copy of Apologia General Science , I was actually a bit turned off.

Hope
07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Apologia isn't for everyone. My son went through General Science in 8th grade and we both found it very boring. Neither one of us had a desire to try any of the other levels.

We switched to Bob Jones and really enjoyed their science.

ABeka is another publisher that has a good science program. Their texts are very colorful.

Kendall in GA
07-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I know apologia is a popular choice, but after scanning a friend's copy of Apologia General Science , I was actually a bit turned off.

Just curious...What turned you off??? Btw, I haven't seen it.

Denise H
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Kendall, I'll do my best to put it into words. :) So far, we've been able to use resources that make science alive. My dc are interested in science, and I feel like they have a good science background. When I looked through the Apologia Gen Science book, it just doesn't seem to me to have that intriguing, alive quality. Does that make any sense? :unsure:

I feel like it's time for my 8th grader to go deeper with science, and I want him to be prepared for high school level labs. A science-based career may be a possibility. I guess I'm also hoping his interest in and curiosity about science can continue. The apologia book is more textbookish than the books we've used before, and it just looks boring and unappealing to me. There is a lot of information presented, but I wonder how much of it would be retained anyway.

I need to mention that the book I looked through was printed in 2005. Maybe the newer version is livelier?

(By the way, if anyone's using Apologia and loving it, I'm happy for you! :thumb: )

Melinda
07-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Denise, I have CKE Physics and was hoping to use it this year to introduce the topic but will probably shelve it until early middle school. If you're used to a literature approach, I don't see why you can't use it and supplement with the literature list in the back of the book. There are many, many books listed and I think your son could dig as deep as you/he would like.

Also, could you cover both in one year? Chemistry one semester and physics the other? That way it would move fast without him being bored.

In my experience, CKE is a great introduction to various topics that kids can take hold of and study further. I know that the middle school boys I used to work with would have loved this program.

Denise H
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Also, could you cover both in one year? Chemistry one semester and physics the other? That way it would move fast without him being bored.

I was thinking about doing both with him next year.
I didn't know about the literature listed in the back of the book. I think that brings this curriculum back to the table! :lol: Thanks for letting me know!

Kendall in GA
07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Denise,

I understand what you are saying about the Apologia text. I haven't seen it; but, you've conveyed your concern/lack of interest well.

Denise, I have CKE Physics and was hoping to use it this year to introduce the topic but will probably shelve it until early middle school. If you're used to a literature approach, I don't see why you can't use it and supplement with the literature list in the back of the book. There are many, many books listed and I think your son could dig as deep as you/he would like.

I have CKE Physics. Even with the supplemental book list I would not feel comfortable using it for an 8th grader ~ particularly one with a good science background and is aspiring to higher level lab work.

...Just my $.02!

Denise H
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Do you have any suggestions, Kendall, since you've so patiently stuck with me this far?

Anyone else?

Trina
07-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Don't post often, I just kind of lurk about ..
But in following this thread I wanted to add that I just purchased the Apologia Gen. Science for my 11yo & to help make it more interesting I am doing the lapbook go along from Knowledge Box Central. I believe the format of the lapbook & the basic text from Apologia will make the "knowledge" learned much more retainable.

To make it more fun "hands on" for him, I plan on sitting back and observing-not actually taking an active role in the hands on projects/experiments since the instructions are so well written I think that will also give him a little more ownership & excitement over the whole book.

CINDY LB OH
07-03-2009, 09:39 AM
I've used Apologia too. But I think I like it more than the kids do. It does become tedious after a while, but I like the way he presents the info. My kids have learned a lot from it though. We've used the general science, physical science, and biology.

That's as far as I'm going with it though. Next year my 10th grade dd wants to do chemistry. I'm not buying Apologia, but am going for something lab-based.

We are going to use TOPS Science (http://topscience.org/) labs as our starting point. Then using a text, probably from the library, to learn more in depth about the concepts. That's it. She can go as deep as she wants but I'll have a syllabus of requirements written out for her to follow. Knowing her, she'll do the bare minimum if totally left on her own.

On the TOPS Science homeschool tips (http://topscience.org/site_pages/homeschoolers.html)page, read question number 3; this is my plan for chemistry, and probably physics the next year.

I'm excited!! And so is my dd!

ETA: My main disappointment with the Christian kids explore chemistry, was the lack of experiments, and the ones they did have were very elementary--things we had already done.

Kendall in GA
07-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Do you have any suggestions, Kendall, since you've so patiently stuck with me this far?

Sorry, I don't! :perplex: I was chimming in b/c I have the CKE Physics book. It's a good book; but, inappropriate for an 8th grader, IMO. I just wanted to put that out there so that you wouldn't waste your money on something too elementary.

Science is my achilles heel so I have to be diligent in looking to others for advice/recommendations.

Do you have a friend who is a science "guru" that you can turn to for a recommendation? Are there science co-ops in your area???...If so, what do they use? Do you have friends whose dc are in traditional school who could possibly give recommendations?

Hopefully, you'll find something that you're happy with!

Rachael
07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I asked about science not too long ago. Here's the thread.

http://www.fiveinarow.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=56267

Unfortunately, I still haven't found anything that just grabs me. I'm beginning to think it's a "me" issue, not a lack of good curriculum issue.

Denise H
07-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks so much, everyone, for your suggestions! I will look into them.