PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here teach Latin?

Jen in AL
07-04-2009, 11:32 AM
If so, what do you use? And what do you recommend for a fourth grader? Also, I have NO experience with Latin whatsoever, so I also need a program that doesn't assume that the teacher is fluent in Latin. Thanks!:)

ETA: I'm leaning towards Prima Latina, so I'd love to hear from those who have used this. However, I'm definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Jeni
07-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Quite a few people around these boards teach Latin. ;)

We use Latin For Children (http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/) and LOVE it. It doesn't assume the teacher knows any Latin. My oldest son who is using it can pretty much study the program by himself (but we all end up listening in on his lesson ;) ). He started at the end of 4th grade. I think 4th / 5th grade is the perfect time to start Latin assuming they aren't still learning or struggling with reading and writing English. ;)

I also looked at Lively Latin (http://www.livelylatin.com/site/index.php). I haven't used it but I really like the look of it. ;)

JuliaT
07-04-2009, 01:57 PM
I have attempted to teach Latin to my oldest for a few years now. She is dyslexic, though, and I have since heard that it is very hard to teach a dyslexic child another language. For right now, then, we are taking a break until she is in Gr. 6 and see if this will make a difference.

We have tried a few things. We tried Prima Latina and Latina Christiana. We are not a workbook family so these did not work for us. It was just too rigid. We have had the best results in doing LC orally.

We have also tried Minimus. This was the best time with Latin that we have had. I love this program. It is not heavy on grammar but I think it is a great intro to latin.

I think PL might be a bit too young for your child. If you wanted to keep with Memoria Press, you could just jump in to LC I and take your time going through the lessons.

There are so many latin programs now. There is alot to wade through. There is Lively Latin. This gives you more of a full picture with the history of Rome. Latin for Children is also a good one (at least, so I have heard.) I think it is a workbook kind of curriculum as well.

Heather W
07-04-2009, 02:57 PM
I am using Prima Latina. It emphasizes vocabulary more than anything else. The follow up is Latina Christiana and that begins to get into declensions and all the rest.

I like Prima Latina. I've had some Latin myself but remember very little of it. This program is easy to use and the children enjoy it.

Ging
07-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm using Prima Latina with my three dc ages 6,8,and 9. My oldest used Latina Christiana and Lingua Angelica. I'm not sure what he'll do next.
Ging

Jen in AL
07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Quite a few people around these boards teach Latin. ;)

That's good to know.:) Sometimes when I've mentioned it to other moms, they look at me like I'm crazy!:eek::lol:

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think we'll give Prima Latina a try. My dd who'll be learning it is only 8. Chronologically, she'll actually be a 3rd grader, so I think it will suit her well. I just have my children placed a year ahead of their actual grade level. We started early! Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!

MarieD
07-04-2009, 10:01 PM
We use Latin For Children (http://www.classicalacademicpress.com/) and LOVE it. It doesn't assume the teacher knows any Latin. My oldest son who is using it can pretty much study the program by himself (but we all end up listening in on his lesson ;) ). He started at the end of 4th grade. I think 4th / 5th grade is the perfect time to start Latin assuming they aren't still learning or struggling with reading and writing English. ;)

Ditto everything above (except my daughter began it at the beginning of 4th grade). Latin for Children is very strong in vocabulary, grammar, and has Latin reader for each level for translation practice. My dd looks forward to doing her Latin. ;)

It is very easy to use.

hollyjean
07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
why did you choose latin as the foreign language? because it is the root of many english words? do you teach other foreign languages?

i was just wondering bc i was thinking about what language to teach recently (not now...but in a few years). I actually took french all the way through school...but I was thinking of spanish since that seems to be a language that we run into most around here besides english.

just curious...thanks!

Sasha
07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
why did you choose latin as the foreign language? because it is the root of many english words? do you teach other foreign languages?

i was just wondering bc i was thinking about what language to teach recently (not now...but in a few years). I actually took french all the way through school...but I was thinking of spanish since that seems to be a language that we run into most around here besides english.

just curious...thanks!

My father in law majored in Latin, now he can practically speak Italian, Spanish and French just from knowing Latin. I've been studying it myself for the past year and think it is wonderful. I've taken French, Portugese and Spanish throughout my schooling years and like Latin much better, the rest of the languages made sense!
I'll be starting my first grader on Latin.

Jo in PRC
07-04-2009, 11:25 PM
We use English from the Roots Up, which isn't really a Latin program, but does cover Latin and Greek words. It's one of my daughter's favorite subjects.

Jeni
07-05-2009, 08:52 AM

I'm not teaching Latin as a foreign language. It's more of a "study of ancient English" ;) I count it as part of our language arts program. Apart from being able to read books written in Latin and monuments in Europe that are inscribed in Latin, there aren't any practical uses for Latin. The benefits of learning Latin, for us, is understanding English on a higher level and to have a foundation for learning other Latin derived languages.

My kids have picked up some Spanish, French, Japanese and Chinese from being around it. I don't think I'm going to push any serious foreign language instruction until jr high. I know that's later than most people are doing it these days but I have bigger fish to fry right now. Many people never study a foreign language until high school and still manage to become fluent if they choose to so I'm not worried about it. ;)

Sasha
07-05-2009, 09:23 AM
there aren't any practical uses for Latin.

It comes in handy if your dc want to become a doctor or lawyer.

MarieD
07-05-2009, 10:13 AM
We started Latin because my dd was interested in it. When she was in 3rd grade we read Carry on Mr. Bowditch with our history program, and she was also doing an Intro to Biology for science. She kept being exposed to Latin terms, and understood that Latin would help in learning other languages as well.

I am glad we started it. She picks up on Latin phrases, and sees the connection to English all the time. I'm learning tons as well, as I had never studied Latin either.

Latin is all through science and law.

Jeni
07-05-2009, 11:25 AM
It comes in handy if your dc want to become a doctor or lawyer.

Latin is all through science and law.

I know there are terms in science, history, logic, medicine, law and several other subjects are in Latin or have changed very little from Latin but I guess to me that goes along with having a deep understanding of English. I know some universities require Latin for acceptance to some of their college programs.

Lisa in AL
07-05-2009, 12:52 PM
We use Latina Christiana here and it has worked well. We are planning to start Henle Latin sometime this year. :)

Shauna in TX
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm planning to use either Lively Latin or Latin for Children in a couple of years. (Yes, I've already started researching.) I like the look of both programs. I heard complaints that Prima Latina was too dry, and I wasn't thrilled with what I saw.

Amee
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
My 9yo is using Latin's Not So Tough. http://www.greeknstuff.com/latin.html I like it because it's very slow and gentle with lots of built-in review. There is lots of variety in the types of activities in the workbooks, and my son likes that. I'm amazed at how much he has learned without it being too hard or tedious.

There is a teacher's manual that they recommend for parents who don't have experience with Latin. I took Latin in high school and haven't needed the TM so far, so I don't know how helpful it would be.

YoLanda
07-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Here is a website to compare lots of Latin programs:

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/latincomparison.php

Candace C
07-29-2009, 07:31 AM
We are using Prima Latina, because we received it for review. I am not sure that I would have chosen Latin had I not needed to review the program, HOWEVER, I am glad for the opportunity to do so. I have needed a challenge of some sort for my oldest and she is really enjoying it! :eek: :lol:

I really, really like having the DVD lessons...I don't think I could do it without those. :clap:

Alicia
07-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Jen ~
We have used and liked Prima Latina and Latina Christiana.

Holly ~
Here is an article explaining why you should study Latin.

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/whylatin.html

Virginia82
08-05-2009, 03:00 PM
(copied from another post)

My mom homeschooled for 20 years. She learned Latin while helping me learn it, as well as teaching it to my younger siblings. She now teaches Latin at a local Christian School. All in all, she has about 12 years of teaching Latin behind her, and her recommendation to home schoolers wanting to teach Latin to their children is to use Matin Latin.

http://www.canonpress.org/shop/item.asp?itemid=923

She swears by this. She said it is easy to understand and help your children learn it without having any knowledge of Latin yourself. I plan on introducing it in a couple of years (and am teaching Sign Language these earlier years).

HTH mama!

stacy z
08-06-2009, 10:36 AM
we use Latina Christiana. i would personally skip prima latina for a 4th grader and just go to latina christiana I. i believe prima latina is intended for younger students than 4th. the teacher's manual gives you the information you need to teach it even without previous knowledge of latin and the cd helps with pronunciation. i think it is a good program.

we have also enjoyed English from the Roots Up.