PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation for art medium

Sasha
07-05-2009, 12:26 PM
I hope that's the word :lol: I'm not all that artistic but I'm trying not to let that hold my dc back.
We've been studying Monet the past few weeks and my oldest keeps making comments about how Monet would like to paint this particular sunset or scene when we are outside and how he would like to as well. Other than color crayons and cheap colored pencils we don't have anything of good quality for him to use.
We are going camping on the coast soon and I'd like to surprise the boys with some good quality things to draw with on our trip. What does anyone recommend?

MichelleTN
07-05-2009, 01:07 PM
I am not artistic either but we lucked up and my boys were able to take art this past school year.

The teacher introduced them to pastels. My boys had a great time with them. They were square kinda "smeared" (think chalk--sorry as I said not very artistic so I don't give the best examples :blush:) This (http://www.dickblick.com/products/alphacolor-soft-pastels/?wmcp=yahoo&wmcid=SiteSubmitProducts&wmckw=Alphacolor+Soft+Pastels)is like what I am talking about

Anyway my boys really enjoyed using them. I had planned on getting them a set. I had seen some at walmart but I was at a yard sale one day and found 2 sets (1 complete and 1 with a few missing) of 48 pieces and a set of the pastels in coloring pencil form. The lady wanted $2 for all so I grabbed them. My boys have been thrilled with them.

Sasha
07-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Michelle, those look great. Hopefully I can find some at a nearby store without having to order them.

Paige P
07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
You may want to PM Jane Claire with a link to this post. She's such a great artist, and she may have some good recommendations for you :)

TonyaP
07-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Our Staples carries art supplies this time of year and Hobby Lobby or the like will have them as well. We enjoy the oil pastels as well as the regular pastels. I find the chalk pastels to be a little messy, but that's art.

There are also those really neat watercolor color pencils (http://www.ehow.com/how_4841531_use-water-color-pencils.html). With these pencils once you draw your line you can add a bit of water with a brush and it will spread like watercolors. The effect is not quite the same as watercolors themselves, but way less mess.

Amee
07-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Monet and those other impressionists would take paints outside, but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet! :eek:

Oil pastels are fun. They don't blend as much as soft pastels (those are like chalk), but this makes them less messy and frustrating. (With soft pastels you have to be careful not to smear what you've already drawn.) We have only tried cheap oil pastels and like them just fine, so I don't know how different the expensive ones are.

There's a big difference among different brands/prices of colored pencils. We really like Prismacolors.

I've also read in drawing books to get the best paper you can afford, because it makes a big difference to the finished product. With two kids who like to turn out lots of products, I usually just buy medium-priced paper. Not that totally slick, cheap paper, but definitely not the best. I keep lots of cheaper paper on hand, too, for rough drafts.

Nancy Ann
07-08-2009, 02:40 AM
I love the pastels but they may be a bit messy for camping because it may not be so easy to clean your kids up. But if that won't be a problem than I recommend them as well because they are great to use.

You can purchase those small watercolor palates that all stores have. They are in the rectangle boxes with little ovals of colors and comes with a brush. These are not so messy and you can get a tablet of water color paper. Some nice drawing pencils, like charcoal pencils.

TonyaP
07-08-2009, 03:54 AM
I forgot to mention earlier, my kids took an art class a few years ago and the teacher showed them that you can take regular markers, draw with them and then go over the lines with a paintbrush or sponge to make a watercolor effect. That might be nice and easy for camping.

Holly S
07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm a fan of the watercolor pencils. They aren't very messy and make some nice pictures! I also recommend the watercolor paper.