View Full Version : Art supplies for upper elementary and middle schoolers

07-05-2009, 11:44 AM
So my older kids are getting to the point where I think they might appreciate some good quality art supplies and not just fingerpaint and gluesticks. :lol: Here's what I need to know:

1) How big is the difference between Prang and Prismacolor, other than price? Money is an issue but I've got a little wiggle room in my budget and I could spring for the Prismacolors if they are just that much better than the Prang pencils. Also should I get the 24 color set or would the 12 color set be adequate?

2) Is Prang a good brand in general? What about their watercolor pencils? Paints?

3) I have seen the Prang 16 pan watercolor set recommended in the FIAR guides a few times. I have some tube water colors but they are running low. Should I get the Prang 16 pan or more tube water colors or both?

4) Acrylics? Oil paints? Tempera? Finger paint? Paint daubers? Brushes? What do I really want to have and how many colors would make things easy but no out of this world expensive?

5) Timberdoodle (http://www.timberdoodle.com/PrismaColor_Drawing_Kit_p/961-569.htm) and Rainbow Resource (http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Prismacolor+12-color+Drawing+%26amp%3B+Sketching+Set/039641/1246811502-830070) offer drawing sets with art pencils and several kinds of erasers. I know some of the materials from my drafting days but we only had one kind of eraser. :lol: Are these a good deal? Or could I do better putting together my own set?

I am art challenged. I can draw technical draws and drafting type things but don't ask me to draw free hand or paint. :lol: I'm learning right along with them. ;) Thanks for any advice you can give. ;)

07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Bump...anyone have any preferences here?

07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't really worry too much about brands unless I'm wanting the kids to work on something very special. I usually pick up my supplies at Hobby Lobby and try to either purchase when they are on sale or using a 40% off coupon (sign up via the HL website).

I love my watercolors in a tube and have purchased some acrylics but haven't used them yet. I like to get some nice paper for the paints, but we don't use that daily. I'd start with the medium priced option and if the child shows a true interest invest in higher end materials as a special gift.

I like having a lot of pencil colors (but if you go with Prism $ would be an issue). I like the tube paints because you can purchase inexpensive trays (or use paper plates) and mix colors on the fly without worrying about the whole set of paint getting mixed up. KWIM? We have a large set of oil pastels just because *I* like having lots of colors. Again, if you start small and one of yor children is saying they'd really like to try more/do more, you can supplement later.

Gitel in nj
07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
In architecture school wer were required to use Prisma-Color pencils. don't know if that helps you or not :roflol:

Holly S
07-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I buy a lot of art supplies when Hobby Lobby has 50% off sales. They seem to have quite a bit on sale every time we go in. That really adds up when you're looking at a $10 set of paints!

07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
i don'tt know about brands really. however, i've always been pleased with the products from oriental trading. they have very competitive prices too imo. here's the link to their supplies http://www.orientaltrading.com/art-supplies-a1-382160-4-0.fltr

just scroll down & choose from paint & brushes, drawing, ceramics, or sculpture & modeling. you can also order their catalogs for free.