PDA

View Full Version : spelling

Lynn CO
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Can you tell me what you are using for spelling, and why you like it?

Lynn

Jeni
07-06-2009, 02:30 PM
LOVE All About Spelling.

It's Orton-Gillingham/Spalding based but all laid out for me in plain English instead of educational-ese.

Every step is laid out but it still has some flexibility. It's the first "all the planning done for you" type curriculum that I've had where I haven't felt the need to completely change the lessons. :lol:

It has manipulatives but we don't have to use them if we don't want to and it takes nothing away from the lesson.

It's completely reusable so I can use it with each of my kids and not have to repurchase anything.

Ummm....I know there is more but I've got some kids who need me. ;) If I think of anything more I'll add it. ;)

ETA: Oh and it starts with the very very basics of letter sounds and progresses through the 6 books to college level spelling so it's the only spelling program I'll need.

Cheryl in SoCal
07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
My favorite is Sequential Spelling because it's easy and helped my children see patterns in spelling rather than focusing on phonics. Phonics is great for reading (knowing how to pronounce a word) but the multiple ways of spelling the same sound (long a = ate, eight, rail, etc) doesn't help much when it comes to spelling because knowing the phonics doesn't help you know which way the sound is spelled in a particular word, KWIM? I'm NOT down on phonics, just don't see it as the best way to teach spelling.

TonyaP
07-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I like Sequential Spelling but use it more as a reading tool to help DS develop fluency than a formal spelling program. You might want to check out SpellingCity online. I also like using the lists of "common words" and "words every X grader should know" from time to time. Sequential Spelling is the only really formal program I've tried.

Paige P
07-06-2009, 04:49 PM
We're starting Sequential Spelling this year. I choose it b/c I think it makes sense the way it follows word patterns ("ine" words "ough" words, etc.). I initially considered it b/c my cousin, who's hsed for ages highly recommended it as the best program she's worked with :thumb: That, in itself, was a great plug, to me, but I did check out some other programs and really liked SS :)

Michelle T
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM
We are using Sequential Spelling and really like it.:clap:

Carol S
07-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Another Sequential Spelling user here.

Rebe
07-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I use and like Spelling Power. This thread explains more (from me and others) how it works and why we like it:

http://www.fiveinarow.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=56739&highlight=power

Jo in PRC
07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Another Spelling Power fan here - I love that it's one book, one program for all my kids from beginning to end.

Gail in NY
07-06-2009, 08:38 PM
sequential spelling for the list type of program. Apples for my oldersd who just need to see the how's and why's of general rules and their applications.
I also have a spelling program that someone from the boards gave me that I can't wait to try. I'll have to go find it to get the name, but "auditory" and "independent" caight my eye-that's my ds.

I realize this is probably no real help to you....sorry.

Michelle B.
07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
We've done Spelling Workout. It helped ds who's not natural speller to greatly increase his ability to spell.

Jenny in GA
07-08-2009, 08:28 AM
We love All About Spelling. Do a search and you'll see lots of threads about it.

MarieD
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Hmmm, spelling…

We have used Sequential Spelling, but it ended up not being a great fit for my oldest, so we went onto spellingtime (http://www.spellingtime.com/). It is fun, and she likes it, but I have found that it doesn't really teach rules. It is just a lot of fun continual practice.

She is slowly getting to be a better speller, but I honestly think that is more from the dictation practice she did all year and just being older and able to better recognize and remember correct spelling than from spellingtime. :unsure:

I did buy All About Spelling for my youngest to use this coming year and to also help my oldest learn the rules she has missed along the way. I like the looks of the program, but it will depend on how easily we can implement it. We will continue with dictation since that helps with other areas of language arts as well. My oldest loves spellingtime, so I am not yet sure if I want to keep that in or not. I may if the continual independent practice keeps helping her in the long run.

Spelling makes me :crazy:

Lisa in the UP of MI
07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
We love, love, love All About Spelling. I love that it teaches all of the sounds that each phonogram makes right away, how it teaches word building, and the simple, incremental introduction of rules. Plus, the fun, short, hands-on, interactive lesson work wonderfully for my dd.

Sheila in KY
07-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Another vote here for sequential spelling. It is easy to use, my son likes it, and it is working! :clap:

Stacy in OR
07-16-2009, 08:00 PM
After trying many different spelling programs, I have finally settled on Phonetic Zoo by Institute in Excellence for Writing. I like it because:

1) my children can do it independently (very important when you have several in school)

2) no busy work - the children are given the same list of words every day via CD until they earn 100% twice

3) earning 100% twice means they have probably mastered the words

3) the spelling rules are given daily which increases the chance that the kids will actually remember them

4) Andrew Pudewa gives a good explanation of why hearing the spelling words spelled out loud in sequential order is better than seeing the entire word all at once - if you're interested, I think the method is explained on their website

5) I am seeing rapid improvement in my kids' spelling

6) Did I mention I don't have to "teach" or monitor the program?

Robin H in VA
07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
We have never done a spelling program but this year we are going to try A Reason for Spelling. I haven't even gotten the books yet.

I am not much help, but there is another program to look into.

Laura F
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
We're starting spelling for 2nd grade this coming school year. I ordered Spelling Workout after lots of browsing through multiple programs. So far I like what I see. What bothered me about so many other programs is the number of words per week. I like the Spelling Workout uses 10--not 20--words each week. That seems realistic for my second grader.