View Full Version : Fun Math for a number lover

Amy K
07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
My 4 year old really wants to do school. I am going to start on FIAR with her this fall. I know there are math activities in the manuals, but what can I do with her to challenge her a bit. She LOVES numbers. Seriously she seems to think about numbers/math all the time.

She already has a grip on basic addition/subtraction. This is not something that I have worked with her on...she just picked it up from her siblings and ran with it. If you tell her she needs 6 dollars, she will immediately say (w/out using fingers) "I have 2 so I need 4 more". She just piped up a few minutes ago and said..."momma, 6 plus 6 is 12". It just always seems to be on her mind.

I don't really want to do workbook stuff with her too much but want to challenge her in a fun way.

Thanks for any ideas you may have. :)

07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Miquon (http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1247069127-1635615&subject=10&category=2204) comes to mind, definitely a bit of a challenge for her but it's meant for her to work at her own pace. Lots of hands activities. It has workbooks but they aren't traditional workbooks, they contain lab sheets for completing the activities.

Personally, I would just go with real life math. Find math in the everyday things. Expand the FIAR math lessons as far as they can reach. Things like that. ;)

Shauna in TX
07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Miquon or Right Start might be good for her. We did RS level A when DD was 4 and she loved it - she actually got upset if we "did school" and didn't include RS. There are only a few worksheets in level A, and slightly more in level B, it's primarily done through interaction with the teacher and manipulatives.

Miquon is mostly about exploration and figuring out things by using cuisinaire rods. It's very different from a traditional curriculum, but it helps to teach math concepts in a different way. It uses "lab sheets" but for the most part they aren't filled out like a traditional worksheet, and the answers can be represented by the corresponding rods, rather than writing.

If you don't want a curriculum, you might try the Activities for the ALAbacus and games from Right Start, so you can let her progress at her own pace.

07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
You might be able to find some things at this website: http://www.mathwire.com They have some neat games and hands--on activities. Family Math is also a good book for games and other ideas.

Kendra AU
07-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I'd do lots of "living math" type games and things. ;) We play many games for math and it works well for us. :D

Number Neighbors would be right up your daughters alley.. You use a deck of cards (minus all face cards and use the Aces as 1s) The idea is similar to Go Fish, only instead of asking for a specific card you say, "Do you have any number neighbors for 3." The other players would need to give you a 2 or a 4. If they have it they hand it over, otherwise you dive into the pile and pluck something up. ;) The game ends when all number neighbors are formed and there's nothing anyone can do with the cards left.

Amy K
07-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions everyone!

Kendra...love the "number neighbor" game...very cute.

Something that came to me yesterday is also the Reader Rabbit Pre-k, K programs and one is just Math. My oldest (who loves math too) really enjoyed these games when she was little.

Thanks again everyone...put these in my "bank".