PDA

View Full Version : Explode the Code Books 5-8

HollyD
07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Does anyone have experience with ETC books 5-8? We're almost finished with Book 4 and I'm debating whether or not to continue. We just started 2nd grade with ETC Book 4. I get the feeling that most people drop ETC as soon as their child is reading pretty well. Any experience or advice would be most appreciated!

KristenS
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
We stopped last school year in the middle of book 5, and plan to pick it up again in August. Ted can read fairly well, but since he's not devouring chapter books or anything yet, I'm going to keep at it. :) I want to see it all the way through to make sure we don't miss anything. By then I hope to be able to tell if he's a natural speller or if we'll need to follow up with some sort of spelling curriculum.

We alternate the books after 3 with the Beyond the Code books for a change of pace.

Shauna in TX
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
We used parts of book 6 for review from a previous program. If you child reads well and you are starting a spelling program, you could probably drop it comfortably.

Mary FL
07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I have bought all eight books for each child. My dd is in book 8 and just finishing 3d grade. I really like book 8 because there are different activities than before---one being reading comprehension. I've been impressed with ETC, so that is why we have continued past the learning to read stage. I look at it as good re-enforcement. :)

LisaM
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Dd is starting 3rd grade in August and will do Books 7 & 8 this year. She's a voracious reader and doesn't need the phonics to help with reading, but I've noticed that ETC has helped with her confidence in spelling. I don't do a formal spelling program at this point, but choose words from her writings that she needs to learn to spell correctly. I've also chosen words from the ETC lessons to use as spelling words. I guess it depends on what your purpose is for using ETC.

Chris-AL
07-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Noah has done 1, 2, 21/2, 3, 31/2, 4, 41/2, 5, 51/2 so far, during 1st and 2nd grade. I'm purchasing the rest for third grade. His reading skills have come s-l-o-w and steady style and I dare not leave anything out!