PDA

View Full Version : Parables of Nature by Mrs Alfred Gatty

Kimi
07-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi, :hi:
Has anyone used this? It teaches stories from nature with a moral and spiritual moral. The idea intrigues me. You can get 1 or more of the volumes online, here is one site http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/gatty/parables/parables.html

I am trying to work out whether I need a science programme as well as FIAR or if I used this instead.... I don't want to make life too hard or I find I shelve the FIAR and end up back at book work, which is not where I want to be. :)

Forgot to mention that my son is just 7 yrs old.
Thanks for your help. :D

Kendra AU
07-09-2009, 07:38 AM
:hi: Kimi,

We own it, I ordered our copy from Amazon and it has both volumes in one. :D While it is parables based on nature, you'd want to expand a bit more on the "science".

For instance, the first story is about faith and it discusses the life cycle (very lightly) of a butterfly. You also read about a bird as well. You could easily make your nature study/science for the week be based on that though. :)

We haven't utilized the book as much as I wanted, but we do use it and I do REALLY enjoy it. I read the story and had my kids draw a picture while I read (it had to be of the story). Then afterwards I had them narrate back to me what the story was about and I wrote it on the back of the paper. We notebook it and that's that. :D However, we may also expand with it to nature studies. ;)

Kendra

JuliaT
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I read it to my oldest when she was 7. Some of the stories are very good but others were just a bit too hard for dd to understand, so we never finished it.

Linda
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM
We have it and read through it. Just read the first chapter to my 6 year old yesterday in fact. :)

It's a nice book but I wouldn't use it as a science study.

Kimi
07-09-2009, 07:36 PM
It wasn't so much that I wanted to use it as a science programme, but more as an addition to FIAR and do I even need a separate science prog, anyway???
I think if I used it as a nice read-aloud book that happens to mention animals etc, that would work.

Thanks so much for your help. :clap:

Kendra AU
07-13-2009, 05:24 AM
I think it would most certainly pass as a read aloud and even Bible study on various Characters. ;) My 8 year old saw it on the shelf and asked if I'd read him more of it cause he loved the stories we've done.

Kendra

Kimi
07-13-2009, 06:39 AM
That is what I figured. Thanks. :D
I found it online and have been reading some of the stories and I like the more formal language, its good for expanding his vocab.