View Full Version : Science Curriculum ~ Jr. High

07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Is there anyone who just has their child read various science books for science in jr. high? Not using a curriculum or textbook? If so, do you have a specific list of books or a plan on paper? I have a very hard time finding curriculum that my ds doesn't think is "babyish" or "boring". I would like to challenge him with interesting, living books. Any ideas would be appreciated! :)

07-09-2009, 02:13 PM
We did this for 7th grade and will also for the first half of 8th. In our case, the actual topics were determined by our curriculum (Learning Adventures), but they're broad: Plants, astronomy, human body, rocks and minerals, etc. We study one topic for about 6 weeks (which is actually too long in most cases; four would be better).

I got all of our books and DVDs from the library, using the catalog search function and requesting them online. (The Learning Adventures manual lists dozens of suggested titles, but it was much faster and easier for me to just see what my library owned and request it.) I required him to do a certain amount of "free" reading each day, plus there were short lessons that went along with the topic in the curriculum's manual -- things like dissecting and drawing a lily when we did plants.

Also, do you have the book All Through the Ages? There's a science section in there that would probably list many good books.

If your ds feels that most of the books he's read are too babyish, he may need more "requirements," such as having him do a project related to each topic, a research paper, a poster or video, a field trip, reading scientists' bios, etc. Kind of like Rachel Jane's plan for her boys' independent study program.

07-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Rebe. I actually have Learning Adventures,but have not used it, so I'll check it out. I'll try to get All Through the Ages too.

07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
This past year I used the Planet Earth DVDs from BBC/Discovery Education. Our library has the Education Editions which means they come with a resource CD that has vocabulary words, lab suggestions, and essay questions for more research.

My high school dd used it as an independent study ecology course, but it would work great for junior high as well.

Heather W
07-09-2009, 03:43 PM
My son has been doing the BY books heavy on science- Marie Curie, Thomas Edison, George Washington Carver, Neil Armstrong...has your son already done these? If not, then it's a good place to start.

07-09-2009, 03:52 PM
here's a free curriculum that uses living books. it doesn't look babyish imo. maybe your ds would like it... or you could get ideas from it at least? you even dissect sheep brain and eyeballs!! :eek:

ETA: even though it says "elementary" ...the author says it can be used through 8th grade easily :)

she has a free high school curriculum too, but it may be too hard? i dunno. hth though. http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/science/big_otters_science/big_otters_human_body.html

07-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks, everyone, for all your great ideas. :)

Katherine in CA
07-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi, Alicia! :hi:

We used and loved Beautiful Feet's "The History of Science" in Junior High (7th Grade, I think), which is very much a living-books curriculum.