PDA

View Full Version : Copywork

stephg
07-10-2009, 01:29 PM
I am going to start my 6 year old on daily copywork that will be put into a notebook. I plan on writing out for him a short scripture or poem or something like that each day for him to copy. My question is do you have your child do their copywork directly underneath yours? Or do you have them copy on a new paper?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Suz MamaFrog
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I always preferred to have them trace it correctly at least once, and then write it on their own at least once. Our CopyScribe copybooks do just that on each page. You can download a font that will allow you to make your own, too, for no charge. I forget the name of it, as it's been several years since I used it. Before the software and before finding CopyScribe, I used to write out the passage in highlighter. That way, they could trace over my lettering to ensure proper letter formation and then write their own on the line(s) beneath.

HTH!

Suz

Jeni
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Depends on the child, their age and their ability. My oldest son just copies his copy work directly from the source (usually his FIAR book) I make traceable pages for my younger two school age kids with Startwrite. My daughter traces then copies but I'll probably let her just copy starting in the fall. My younger son though still needs to trace to get the letter formation more in grained in his head (a dyslexic leftie ;) ) so he will continue to trace and copy until his copying abilities are more developed.

MichelleL in Tn
07-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I normally had them write it directly under. Then when they got older they could copy it from the original document.

Or you can http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/ generate a copy sheet of your own. With the handwriting generator.

Jo in PRC
07-11-2009, 01:16 AM
We had a copy work jar. I printed out verses, poems, quotes, and even funny jokes. Then I folded them and sealed them with a cute sticker (cuteness factor was critical to Anna). Each day she would pull out a copy work paper and then copy that onto lined paper. Then we would paste that into her little book. Sometimes she would also illustrate her work. Her finished book is beautiful and she still loves to read through it.

Holly S
07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
I copy the sentence and have her write it directly under my copy. She still has some trouble writing from left to right and knowing when to start a new line. If I have her copy it alone, she'll write every which way and start new lines in the middle of words. :eek: We have paper for her copywork that has individual boxes for each letter. I think DH found it at Walmart.

Alicia
07-11-2009, 05:21 PM
When my ds was doing copywork in manuscript, I wrote whatever I wanted him to copy, on 3x5" cards. Then I set the card up in the groove of a recipe card holder in front of him. He copied it onto appropriate grade-level lined paper, or picture paper which had lines on the bottom and was blank on top. This way he could do copywork and illustrate it. Many times I also printed out colorful themed border pages for him to do his copywork, especially for holiday copywork.