PDA

View Full Version : History/Social Studies for Caps for Sale

Robin H in VA
03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
We are going to try Caps for Sale again this week :clap:. This is the third week, so I hope third time is a charm :) and nothing else comes up to make this week not happen.

I am also starting my new planner. I purchased the one for FIAR, but am going to use with B4.

Okay, here is my question. Does or has anyone did history and/or social studies with B4 and what did or will you do with Caps for Sale?

I thought of doing something connected to the town; small, population, etc. but not sure if ds will understand.

Any suggestions? I looked through the old archives (I have them printed from before) but didn't see anything that I could use.

I would like to do ss/history on Monday, sorry for the late notice.:D

Thanks

snickelfritz
03-25-2007, 10:06 PM
ok....these are a stretch...

What about community helpers? Who could he have called if he couldn't get the caps back on his own? Where could he go to sell the caps in your town? Maybe a craft fair or a flea market?

We just finished a "light" rowing of this book, but that's all I could think of.:unsure:

Robin H in VA
03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Okay, that's a start.

Instead of flea market I would have to say Yard Sale:) This kid lives for yard sales, thanks to his paternal grandparents :lol:. If we are driving down the road and he see a sign posted to a pole, he immediately says it's a Yard Sale.:lol: :lol:

Thanks for those suggestions.

TonyaP
03-26-2007, 05:09 AM
I would discuss travelling salesmen. We don't see much of that anymore but it used to be that a peddler would arrive with all kinds of goods at your home a few times a year.

AndreaD
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
I like Tonya's idea with the traveling Salesman- The word "peddler" comes up at Christmas time when we read the Night Before Christmas- comparing his pack to a peddler's pack- and they kids can recall- oh yea- I remember that "peddler" that sold caps- only he stacked them on his head.

Don't forget to act this one out!! WE LOVE to pull out all of dad's ball caps, and stack them up, and pretend to be the peddler and the monkeys.

Ely in Chicago
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Many other countries still have some sort of Peddler that comes to their neighborhood.

Phillipines, have peddlers that come everynight selling roots, vegetables and eggs. Many latin american countries have the same. Do a search for these at the library or internet.

Also...we may not have a man with hats walking along our street but where I live...we see everyday (during the warmer months) a man on a bike selling ice cream bars and also one that goes to our local park to seel hot dogs. Do you have any of these around?

Are you likely to see monkeys on a tree like in the story? Where can you find these? This could be a starter on habitats, or geography, or climate.

You could interview an older person, grandparent or older and ask if they remember seeing any peddlers like this man when they grow up.

snickelfritz
03-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Oh, the ice cream truck is a great comparison. I'll have to remember that when it gets warmer. My dd figured the ice cream truck out very quickly last summer.

Robin H in VA
03-26-2007, 06:53 PM
These are such great responses.

Ely, the thing about peddlers in other countries is great and that brought to mind; Disney's Bedknobs and Broomsticks. All of my kids love this movie. There are peddlers on the streets in that movie. I think it is suppose to be in Germany or France, I know it was during one of the wars.

We also have a snowcone man that comes through in the summer time. He doesn't stop at our house, but we usually see him when I am on the way to work.

We may end up rowing this book for two weeks if I get anymore good ideas.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks

ab.grace
03-26-2007, 09:44 PM
and I see people selling things all the time. My children immediately understood this, in fact they do sell their wares on their heads! If you see National Geopgraphic pics, you will for sure see pictures of women carrying things on their heads!! Water, roots, veggies etc... I see it daily where I live.

AB

Robin H in VA
03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
I have a bunch of old NG magazines, I'll have to go through them and see if there is anything I can show him.

When I arrived back home this evening, I asked ds if he remembers the people on Bedknobs and Broomsticks that were selling all the different itmes on Abella Road (I think that is the name of the song they sing) and he did :) of course he wanted to imediately watch the video at 10:00 PM :lol:. I don't think we have that video in the house right now, so we probably won't get to watch it.

Ely in Chicago
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey Robin,

I just thought of something else...this might be stretching it but..:D

what about famous people through history with handlebar moustache or how the style came about, etc. Who knows...your kids might find this fascinating...or maybe not? :p