PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone

April in PA
07-12-2009, 02:56 PM
For those of you who have used Rosetta Stone, at what age do you think it's appropriate to start? We used La Clase Divertida last year for Spanish...we loved it. But I'm starting to wonder if I should just put my money toward RS rather than move to the next level of La Clase Divertida. I'm concerned that my kids are too young for it...I'm assuming my K'er is too young, but what about a 2nd grader (she's a fairly good reader, if that makes a difference)? Neither program is inexpensive, and I know at some point we will use RS...if it's age appropriate this year, I'd rather not spend the $ on the next level of La Clase Divertida (even though we thoroughly enjoyed it this year.)

molly in cr
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
My eight year old uses it. The most frustrating part for him is the part where you have to type words and spell them correctly, including the accent marks.

However, you can set it up to be speaking and listening focus and I am assuming there will be less typing, if any. So I guess the key there is versatility. There are a few different focuses to choose from.

For the speaking part you can also select 'easy' when you set up your microphone and it will be less picky about pronunciation. On the normal level it can be frustrating to keep repeating yourself, even for me. :unsure:

ETA: All three of my boys are using it, but I used my 8yo as he is most close in age to your dd.

carriejoy
07-12-2009, 05:18 PM
we use it strictly for "listening" and vocab development. the speaker says the phrase and then the kids choose the correct picture. NO reading or typing at all. I started my kids at age 5 & 6 via the online version from the library that is NLA.

I SERIOUSLY encourage you to try it out first, and not just their sample disc. See if anyone locally is using it and would let you give it a good test run.

If you're liking and learing from LCD, then I wouldn't see an overwhelming reason to change. If you look at the online reviews of RS, you'll definitely be getting a pretty accurate picture of what it can/can't do.

I do encourage you to look at The Learnables too. Inexpensive and good reviews. I've never tried it, but it looks very intriguing. Highly DON'T recommend the Auralog/Tell Me More materials - barf.

Good luck! I'd LOVE to hear more about LCD if you're willing!

Shannon F.
07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm sorry to hijack, but Carrie did you just say "barf"? You're dating yourself!:roflol:

Cheryl in SoCal
07-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry to hijack, but Carrie did you just say "barf"? You're dating yourself!:roflol:

So people no longer say "barf?" Guess I date myself too then:lol:

Kelly K
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
My 6yo used it all last year. I did the typing for her and she did the rest. My 11yo and almost 10yo also use it.

carriejoy
07-13-2009, 01:26 AM

Well, my husband is gone and it would be wrong for me to date anyone else, right??

Bad, bad... I know!:lol:

molly in cr
07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, my husband is gone and it would be wrong for me to date anyone else, right??

Bad, bad... I know!:lol:

:lol::lol:

April in PA
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Highly DON'T recommend the Auralog/Tell Me More materials - barf.

Good luck! I'd LOVE to hear more about LCD if you're willing!

:roflol: LCD was perfect for my kids this past year. It's such a gentle introduction to the language and had cooking and crafts to do along with each lesson. I loved the cooking because it was easily adapted to my kids' allergies. There is also a workbook that goes along with it, but we didn't use it. We did level one with four other families...one mom volunteered to run a once a month class for all the kids. The fact that we had that once a month class held us accountable to actually watch the DVD of the lesson. The crafts and cooking were done at the class. I really did love it and so did my girls.

The main reason I'm thinking about switching is that we won't be having the class this year. I know myself well enough to know that on my own, I will be very lazy about doing the crafts and cooking, and will not watch the DVD regularly. I'm just questioning if it's the best use of my limited budget. Rosetta Stone is significantly more expensive, but if it will get used, I'd rather spend the money on that. I have nothing bad to say about LCD...we thoroughly enjoyed it and it's perfectly suited to my kids' ages. I'm just not sure it's going to get used as much as it was this past year. I hope that makes sense.

carriejoy
07-14-2009, 12:42 AM
April, have you considered seeing if anyone else would like to do the class with you? I'm assuming that this other gal is not able to do it and that is why?

If you've found something that WORKS for you, then stick with it.

Also, as far as RS goes KEEP AN EYE ON CRAIGSLIST!!! Seriously. Even check the other metro areas near you. My "local" is Seattle but I kept an eye on Portland too. I ended up (kid you not) getting RS in over TWENTY languages already loaded on a refurbished (by some guy) computer for TWENTY bucks plus the cost of gas and an afternoon of driving. Yes. I said twenty. For all the languages. It's an older edition, but that is FINE by me!!

That said, I was prepared to pay up to $100 for RS Spanish or German. It pays to look!

eta: here are 3 links from our local area
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/emd/1260138775.html seems to be a legit copy
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/emd/1261113215.html could be legit, could be a pirate
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1261667628.html almost guarantee this is a pirated copy

katied
07-15-2009, 01:36 AM
My son used Rosetta Stone at ages 5-6 back when it was available for free through the library. We omitted the writing and recording exercises, but he learned a lot anyway. Most importantly, he really enjoyed it- he's a big computer fan anyway and he loved clicking and selecting the right answers each time.
After that free subscription ended, I was very hesitant about spending the extra $$$ to purchase the program, so I tried various inexpensive programs...Jumpstart Spanish, a couple of other Spanish software for kids I picked up in various places, Spanish workbooks, audio CD's from the library...nothing else seemed to hold his interest. Eventually, I gave up, decided to take the plunge and purchased an online subscription to Rosetta Stone. It was just under $300 for a one-year-subscription and they sent me a free headset with microphone (I had found a 10%-off coupon online, so that helped a little.) My son is now 7 and logs on to Rosetta Stone every day. He really loves it- and now he even does the speaking, recording, and the Spanish spelling exercises! I am amazed by how well it holds his attention (he has PDD-NOS as well as ADD issues).
In retrospect, I wish I had just gone ahead and spent the money a year ago. It's very expensive, no doubt about it, but the learning value is HUGE! It's also nice for me because it's something he can do entirely on his own, with no input needed from me. So...yes, it costs a fortune, but it's been so worth it for us.

April in PA
07-15-2009, 05:57 AM
April, have you considered seeing if anyone else would like to do the class with you? I'm assuming that this other gal is not able to do it and that is why?

That's it exactly...and none of the rest of us want to take on that job :)

I never thought to look on craigslist for RS...thank you for the idea!