PDA

View Full Version : ? about MUS Epsilon.

Hope
07-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I have a question for someone who has used Math-U-See Epsilon.

Does Epsilon require use of the manipulative blocks? I know the website says you need to purchase the fraction overlays, but I'm not sure if it assumes you already own the blocks.

I am getting ready to make my purchase and want to make sure I have all the necessary components.

Amy in Ohio
07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Editing to add: Just reread your question, and realized I didn't answer it! :crazy:

The fraction overlays can be used independently from the blocks. The algebra/decimal inserts cannot.

Hope this helps! :)

Kendall in GA
07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Is there a chance you can borrow the overlays? You might want to see them first. (Btw, I do NOT like the overlays and would have been upset to have wasted money on them if I'd bought them. In case you're wondering...I don't like them b/c they are too convoluted, IMO. I don't need them to "see" fractions and I was hoping that my dd didn't either...It turned out she was able to learn fractions w/o them.)

Amy in Ohio
07-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Btw, I do NOT like the overlays and would have been upset to have wasted money on them if I'd bought them. In case you're wondering...I don't like them b/c they are too convoluted, IMO.

I feel the same way! I bought mine inexpensively from a friend and am hanging on them for my youngest, but my oldest didn't use the overlays at all. In fact, neither of my kids have used the manipulatives since Beta. I use them to teach a new lesson, but that's about it.

Amy in MD
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
My oldest did 15 lessons of Epsilon before we switched to Teaching Textbooks but she did not once have to pull out the blocks (we own a set because she'd done MUS starting with Primer).

We did buy the fraction overlays and dd did use them some but for the most part she had no problems doing the lessons without them.

Natasha
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I purchased the overlays for my niece that I started homeschooling this past year. She is a very visual learner, so not only did they help her see what she was doing and learn better, but it helped me not stress out b/c I wouldn't have realized she was visual learner if I wouldn't have had them. Her and her sister just moved in with us around Christmas (from a public school) and so I have no idea what kindo of learners they were and am still learning.

We did only use them for about 10-12 of the lessons though. Once she got a better grasp of fractions, she was ok without them.

Cheryl in SoCal
07-17-2009, 05:38 PM
We used them too, I found them very helpful.

Dawn Gilmore
07-17-2009, 06:20 PM
We used the fraction manipulatives some, but I don't think you need the blocks to go with them... Oh, maybe at the very beginning, they have you divide up 9 into three groups, to show that 3 is 1/3 of 9.... but you could do that just as easily with pennies or poker chips, or any other manipulatives you might have.

My kids have resisted the manipulatives, almost from the beginning, so I finally struck a deal with them... if they can do a problem right, or correct it the first try, then they don't have to use the manipulatives. If they can't correct it the first try, then they have to use the manipulatives.