PDA

View Full Version : Explode the Code users

Robin H in VA
07-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Do you do one lesson in one day, or do you spread it out over a few days? There are several pages per lesson and I know ds WILL NOT sit and do more than maybe 2 pages.

Also, how often do you do Phonics - daily, every other day??? To ds this is going to be a lot of sit down work and I am not sure if that is going to go well.

I am letting him do his work in a not so structured state now. He is allowed to sit in a few different places in the house, even under the dinning room table, so we may be okay.

Mary FL
07-14-2009, 07:00 PM
We mix it up quite a bit--how many pages they do and how often. I would say 2 - 3 pages a few times a week.

ETC has been great!:thumb:

KristenS
07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
We do a page a day, maybe two if they are simpler pages. I don't even worry about the 'lessons' except as maybe a good point to stop at when we reach a holiday or whatever.

Nancy Ann
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
We are not doing ETC anylonger because my son really despises workbooks now. But when we were doing the ETC series we would do 1 or 2 a day depending on what the pages were like and what I thought he could handle that day.

For phonics, I want to do it everyday but in all honesty it gets a bit boring so we will do phonics for a while and than maybe skip a day or two and come back to it gradually again.

I have tried in the past to make a strict schedule that we will do this each day and this is how many pages we will do and it will be complete by this such and such a time.....and it never works out that way!!:lol: So now I take it day by day.

I think what you are doing by letting him sit in different places is a great idea!!

Sasha
07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
We've always done 3 pages in one book five times a week. Now that we are on 3 and 3 1/2 we do two pages in 3 and 1 page in 3 1/2. He's never complained about the amount of work and flies through it pretty fast now.

Laura F
07-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Aren't there typically 10-12 pages per lesson? That's way too much for my dd. She likes 2-3 pages at a time.

Elizabeth in KY
07-14-2009, 11:12 PM
We've done two pages a day, five days a week. But that was when we were JUST doing ETC, math, FIAR, reading and violin. Now we have added Growing with Grammar, cursive, and some writing. So we will probably cut back to 2 pages 2 - 3 days per week.

Robin H in VA
07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
We are not doing ETC anylonger because my son really despises workbooks now. But when we were doing the ETC series we would do 1 or 2 a day depending on what the pages were like and what I thought he could handle that day.

For phonics, I want to do it everyday but in all honesty it gets a bit boring so we will do phonics for a while and than maybe skip a day or two and come back to it gradually again.

I have tried in the past to make a strict schedule that we will do this each day and this is how many pages we will do and it will be complete by this such and such a time.....and it never works out that way!!:lol: So now I take it day by day.

I think what you are doing by letting him sit in different places is a great idea!!

Does you ds just hate writing in the workbooks, or just workbooks all together? My ds doesn't like workbooks either, but as long as I copy the pages, he will do them. I think it has something to do with the paper. :unsure:

I think I have been too lax with ds in the phonics area thus far, so I need to knotch up my belt on that and get down to some serious business, but not so serious that he will hate doing it. KWIM? I don't want to do too much in one day or even one week.

We have math, FIAR, 100 Easy Lessons, HWOT and some other things, so I don't want to burden him down with too much, but I do want to see that we are getting things done. Something I feel that we haven't really done in the past.

I too have tried the schedule thing, but life just gets in the way and that scedule is gone. I do try to stay on track though with our FIAR and Math, but other things just kinda fall to the side somewhere along the way.

I bought ds a rocker and a bean bag and I have told him that he can sit in those to do school work or at his desk, outside on the porch, at the big table outside, in the yard or even the dining room table. He prefers under the dining room table, but if he does his work, I don't have a problem with it. :clap: ;) I will say this, It Has Made A BIG Difference in ds Attitude toward school time. We are also using the Workbox System and I think that has helped a lot too.

Heide
07-15-2009, 10:41 AM
We usuallly do 3 pages, 3 times a week. I have always left the Language Arts day for FIAR as a stand alone day (No other phonics). Two of our boys didn't care much for the workbook at times. When they were struggling, I would do their writing for them. Not every day, but enough to take the edge off for them. It has been a great program, just feel free to adapt it to your family. Our eldest boy and our daughter would prefer to do many more pages a day and then have a rest. As long as they got the concept, that worked fine too.

Holly S
07-15-2009, 12:18 PM
My DC complete 2 pages each day as well. My 7yo also does a lesson in her McGuffey reader and a couple pages of a grammar book as well.

Chris-AL
07-15-2009, 02:07 PM
We do 4 pages of Explode the Code a day. DS read the pages aloud to me. If he has words to write out, he goes back and does that after he has read the correct words out loud to me. IF I send him off to do it his self, he'll start guessing. And if he's guessing, and writing down the wrong answer, and has to correct it, it's too much. For us, he reads most of it aloud to me.

He also reads to me out of a reader, daily. And I read to him daily, with him following along. We started with Bob Books and are presently reading various level 2-4 readers.

So, for us, phonics looks like this: ~10minutes of ETC side by side(usu 4 pages), ~10 minutes of me reading to him with him following along, ~10 minutes of him reading to me. DAILY.

This summer we are on break, but he still reads to me daily. Presently we are reading Magic Treehouse books. He read a page, I read a page, etc...

That's what is working for us...

Robin H in VA
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
So, do the kids need to know how to read before starting ETC?

Ds is not reading yet and I am having a hard time reading to him because of the problem I am having with my voice (I keep loosing it) so should we wait another year on ETC? Or just go ahead and begin now?

I guess I am getting a little confused.

Ds did the pretest in book 1 last night and did 100% on it.

Sasha
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
So, do the kids need to know how to read before starting ETC?

NO, this helps them learn to read. My son was five when we started, he knew all his letter sounds and we had worked some out of the Ordinary Parent's Guide To Teaching Reading, but he's learned the most from ETC. We started with book 2 and didn't do the pretest, didn't know there was one!

Robin H in VA
07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Sasha, I thought I missed something.

A friend of mine used this with her boys a few years back and I was going to, but at the time ds didn't like things that were black & white, he had to have color, even the books we read had to have color pages or he didn't want to listen to them. :unsure: I have a strange child. :lol:

Ds isn't like that any more, thank God. But he still won't write in the books, except for our HWT, something about the paper he likes. Again :unsure:

Jenny in GA
07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
With my oldest, I had her do about 4 pages a day, and she really grew to hate it. Maybe she would have hated it regardless, but if I had to go back, I would have given her only 2 pages a day.

Right now, my middle child, age six, does ETC about 3 times a week. We do it together, which I did not do with my oldest. She doesn't really need my help, but I think it would be very "un-fun" for her if I just assigned her the pages and left. We do about 2-3 pages when we do it. Then we usually spend 10 minutes playing a Happy Phonics game. So far, this seems to be working nicely.

Jenny in GA
07-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Oh, I should add that my six year old does only the pages when you have to circle or check things. She loves drawing a big X on the pages where you actually have to print words.

HollyD
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I have 7 yo's and we're almost finished with ETC Book 4 now. We do one lesson per week. That breaks down to about 2 pages per day. I try to make them only do one "writing" page per day along with one "circling" or "x-ing" page since those are much easier on their little hands. We also do HWT or copywork every day, too. With a younger child they could dictate their answers if it seemed to be too much writing. I think ETC is easily adaptable to any situation.

Joli FL
07-22-2009, 10:48 AM
We did ETC 1,2,3 this year for K. Ds did 2-3 pages per day, 5 days a week. In addition we also did Reading Made Easy, 2-3 lessons per week and I had him read to me from the Nora Gaydos readers. At the beginning I had to sit with him when he did ETC, but now he does it on his own, unless he is reading the ones with sentences, I have him do those out loud that way I know he is not just guessing.