PDA

View Full Version : Math for K

Jen in OK
07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Have you used Horizons? What did you think about it?

Heather W
07-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I have used Horizons all the way through until now. Horizons K is fine. It's straight forward. You don't need the teachers guide, but I would get the worksheet pack. That way you can make the extra worksheets.

However, I'm switching to Math on the Level (https://www.mathonthelevel.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/) for the simple reason that I'm done with the repetition whether it's spiraled or not. Horizons spirals its content which means it builds new concepts while constantly reviewing old ones.

My dd is hands on and I have tried to no avail to integrate Horizons into a more hands on deal.

I have always said that Horizons is cheap, thorough and visually pleasing and it is. My oldest loves it and did very well with it.

Math on the Level will allow me to take a more practical approach to math without being a slave to what the publisher thinks is an important sequence and approach. I had the chance to speak with the author/publisher of MOTL and it sounds like a good fit for a person who wants to do more living math stuff but wants some support for it. MOTL is not for the person who wants it all laid out.

So, it really depends on what kind of experience you want for Jack.

Jen in OK
07-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Heather. I think we're going to go with it for K at least, mostly because I need something fairly laid out for this coming year. I am realizing I am not going to have a lot of time right now to come up with my own thing. Or do anything other than cook, clean, and change diapers. ;)

KristenS
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
We're using it and so far so good. Maddy's going to give the K level a shot this year; we'll see how it goes. Ted will be doing 3rd.

Ely in Chicago
07-17-2009, 06:03 AM
We used it for Caleb's K this past year and both of us have a love/hate relationship with Horizons. :lol:

Like Heather said we LOVE: the colorful workout, the price, the sequence in which the topics are laid out, the spiral approach, the straightforward approach.

On the other hand I am not crazy about the amount of writing. Not sure were your little one is but mine was not ready to write more than one line a day (we taught numbers with HWT). So we basically did most of the work orally or I would write it for him.

Also, for Caleb once he had learned the concept, he was not too excited with the review...he wanted to move on so I skipped a lot. I didn't have a need to do every single excercise with him.

HTH.

Laura F
07-19-2009, 07:28 PM
We used both MUS and Horizons for Grace in K. We started with MUS, and it's a solid program. The videos are short and helpful, and Decimal Street is a fantastic way to explain the concept of place value. My dd just didn't care for the lack of color. She finished the lessons quickly but didn't "like" math, so we switched to the second half of Horizons K for the rest of the year. She loved the bright colors and pictures, and we found the spiral technique to be a great way to constantly reinforce previous learning. We used Horizons for 1st and continue to enjoy their curriculum.

Mary FL
07-19-2009, 08:00 PM
For K, I used a workbook I picked up at Sam's. You could really get by with something like that (I've even seen decent workbooks at Dollar Tree) and start your son with Horizons 1 for first grade. We like Horizons Math, and I started both children in first grade.

You could also use a lot of things you have in the home already to introduce math concepts. Measuring cups. Dinosaurs (group them in sets, count them, count by 5s and 10s---so on). We like to use legos for place values. Have him cook with you too.

Jen in OK
07-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Thanks, ladies!

I went ahead and picked up Horizons while Mardel was having their sale and we will try it out for K. I probably should have done more research earlier, but here we are in the thick of everything, and I just needed to pick some place to start!