PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat Bizarre Timeline Question

Paige P
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
We're going to use the FIAR timeline this year :thumb: and I intend to start the year off with reviewing some of the historical figures/events we've covered in the past and having them put the info into Timeline Binders. My question is how do you file people in a timeline? Do you place them under the year they were born, or do you place them under the dates in which they were significant? For example, if you were placing Abraham Lincoln, would you put him under when he was born (whenever that was ;) ) or the years of his Presidency? Whatever I do, it needs to be consistent......

Jeni
07-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Hmmm...well for me it would depend. Presidents I would probably file on the date they took office. Other people I might file when they were born, like Helen Keller for instance. I also might enter a person more than once. I might put a short biographical entry of when they were born, so we can say "Wow look so and so was born while this was happening" and then I might put another entry for their significance. Like a president would have a short biography entry when they were born and a summary of their presidency the year they took office, does that make sense?

I guess there is no wrong way to do it. Consistency wouldn't matter to me on this, I would just do what ever made sense for the historical individual in question and I would also ask the kids for their input since it is their timeline. ;)

Kendra AU
07-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Both. :D

See you'd want to know when he was born, but taking presidency and then his death were also HUGE points in history. I'd probably mark them all, and his reading of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Kendra

Paige P
07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
See, THIS is why I asked. Where's the DUH smiley?!?!?!?!?! :D Of course, ya'll are right, and I *should* have thought about those things. Gotcha -- some people (because of events, I guess ;) ) will be in there more than once!!!

Kendra AU
07-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Paige... shhh don't tell, but I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to history, so the more I can put on the better! :lol: Plus, for me it gives you a huge idea as where it all fit in. I mean when I realized how close liberation came for women compared to the year I was born I was completely shocked. Mind you, my kids now think I'm 405 years old, but that's the point! :lol:

Kendra

Paige P
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
I mean when I realized how close liberation came for women compared to the year I was born I was completely shocked. Mind you, my kids now think I'm 405 years old, but that's the point! :lol:

Kendra

:roflol:

Jeni
07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I mean when I realized how close liberation came for women compared to the year I was born I was completely shocked. Mind you, my kids now think I'm 405 years old, but that's the point! :lol:

:lol: That reminds me of the time Patrick was about 5 or 6yo and he drew a scene with dinosaurs and prehistoric plants and decided to put the year the creatures in his drawing lived at the top. The year he choose was 1979. :lol:

Kendra AU
07-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Oh No Jeni! That means I was alive when Dinosaurs roamed the earth! :lol:

Jeni
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Me too! ;)
Who knew? :roflol:

Denise, Guam
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
What I do is to put the figure on the timeline during the time they were most famous for - their presidency, their discovery etc. but I put arrows out from there to the year of their birth and the year they died. I try to alternate colors of the arrows. It looks a little chaotic but since all those things are important I want it all on there -- at quick glanse we can see at any given date whether they were active as well as to see if they were alive or not at any given point.

Linda
07-21-2009, 03:35 AM
I do what Kendra does, whenever there's an important date, birth, death, taking office, whatever, it gets added. :)

I have my kids each doing their own timeline. They don't like me much when I say, "Get out your timeline!" :roflol: Someday they'll appreciate having it all in there but right now, they don't see the big picture. ;)

Shannon F.
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm glad you asked this, Paige, because I was planning on doing the same thing, and was wondering this also! That reminds me I need to purchase the timeline!