PDA

View Full Version : Pony Express

Kendra AU
07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Can anyone recommend a good living book about this time in history (preferably with lots of boyish action about said subject)? We've read a small "beginning reader" book, but I'd like to delve deeper.

I'm also looking for a map that shows major stations on it. We've got a few names, and we've guestimated a few places in on our map as to where they really are (some aren't actually on the map kwim) and the boys would really like to label the map more specifically.

Thanks in advanced,
Kendra

molly in cr
07-17-2009, 01:36 AM
We have Jimmy Spoon and the Pony Express (http://www.paperbackswap.com/book/details/9780590465786-Jimmy+Spoon+and+the+Pony+Express) but haven't read it yet. I'm thinking I may have ordered it because it was recommended somewhere. Loads of help I am, I know.

ETA: We also have They're Off by Cheryl Harness (http://www.amazon.com/Theyre-Off-Story-Pony-Express/dp/0689851219/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247810792&sr=8-1). It is a longer picture book. It does have a map in it, but i is kind of cluttery and cartoony so I am not sure it is what you are looking for.

AndreaD
07-17-2009, 08:53 AM
We read the Childhood of Famous Americans book on Buffalo Bill when we studied the Pony Express- No help with a map though- good luck!

molly in cr
07-17-2009, 09:42 AM
I took a closer look at They're Off last night and on a different page it does have a little strip of map that seems to have all the names of 190 places that were stops along the Pony Express on the way to Sacramento. Most of them look like places that would be hard to find on a map now, but you could see them in order and they all seem pretty close together I think you could might be able to use it to mark your map.

Lori D
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Our favorite-
Bronco Charlie
Rider of the Pony Express by Henry V. Larom Ill. by Wesly Dennis

Kendra AU
07-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Gals. I ended up ordering Jimmy Spoon as Homeschool Library Builder had it and they are having a fantastic sale. I may look into the picture book to go with it, we shall see.

Our history is built on read alouds so I look "the good" ones. ;) Then we just add figures to our timeline, and fill out a notebooking page or color a picture and put it in our notebooks. I'm sure we'll touch this topic again as the children are quite young, but we read a "beginner reader" book while doing Mailing May and we marked a few spots on our map. This of course opened up a slew of questions, and I thought I'd fill the void.

Am I the only one who remembers the program Young Riders? :lol:

Kendra

Robin Lee
07-17-2009, 08:12 PM
This picture book is good for a short glimpse at an experience of one boy and the Paiute relationship. The author/illustrator is an award winner for illustrations.

Ride Like the Wind: A Tale of the Pony Express by Bernie Fuchs

Robin

Kendra AU
07-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Oh stink.. I didn't get a specific indian book. :eyes: Im' pretty doubtful I'll find one on the Paiute's here. Mmm.. Thanks for the reminder. I did get an Indian book which proves to be very promising so I'm excited about that.. I'll be stalking the postie again until my books arrive :D

Kendra

molly in cr
07-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Saw this today and thought of you, Kendra. http://www.pocanticohills.org/ponyexpress/ponyexpress.htm