View Full Version : Prewriting resources?

Jennifer in TX
07-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm looking for prewriting resources for my soon-to-be Ker. I think his fine motor skills aren't strong enough to begin actual handwriting lessons. In the last few months he has finally become somewhat interested in coloring and drawing pictures.

So, what would you recommend? Handwriting Without Tears prewriting, Kumon, ????? My dd was an easy writer, and I'm at a loss with #2.

07-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Ready Writer is fun. (It comes along with Calculadder Master Paks or you can buy a workbook). I do like the Kumon books though I don't know what they have for pre-writing.

07-18-2009, 10:33 PM
We are really enjoying Dot-2-Dot books!! Also, easy maze books. These have really helped my 4yo's eye-hand coordination.

Kendall in GA
07-19-2009, 06:42 AM
So, what would you recommend?

Nothing formal!..I'd definitely stay away from writing exercises until he develops his muscles.

I'd let him color/scirbble until his heart is content. I'd also let him do some lacing cards. Let him use scissors. Practice buttons & snaps. Try puzzles.

07-19-2009, 06:51 AM
We love the Kumon maze books!

07-19-2009, 10:24 AM
I agree with Kendall.

Let him play with clay or playdough a LOT to build up his muscles. He can form his letters with these.

When he does draw/color, give him the large sized ones. Let him draw with sidewalk chalk outside.

It will simply be frustrating for both of you until he is really ready.

07-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Another in agreement with Kendall. He doesn't need to write or even pre-write right now. HWT has some fun preschool stuff with the magnadoodle stamp board and playdough but I would even shy away from the chalkboard activities they offer until his fine motor mature a little more.

Writing and fine motor are two places where most boys definitely lag behind most girls in a noticeable way. Engage large motor skills with sidewalk chalk and writing HUGE letters in the air or in finger paint or a rice box. You'll be working the patterns and rhythm into his mind and when he's ready to try it with fine motor skills, it will be second nature. ;)

And ETA, any schoolwork you want to do with him that requires writing, you can write it for him, let him use letter stamps or stickers, do it just orally or orally with letter magnets. ;)