PDA

View Full Version : Rod and Staff English users -

Gail in NY
07-21-2009, 08:53 AM
do you use the worksheets? Tests? Pros and cons? Just doing some planning and I want to get an order in. Thanks!

Rebe
07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
My dc love the worksheets. It's something different, and usually doesn't require as much writing. So I assign them every once in a while instead of working from the book. It's like a treat for them. :lol:

I do give the tests. I think it's a good experience for them to take the tests.

Fortunately, they're both really cheap!

Gail in NY
07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Rebe - where do you order from?

I have a friend who said she gave the worksheets if they were available for the lesson. Does that mean not every lesson has them?

Trudy
07-21-2009, 06:59 PM
I never use the work sheets or the tests. What grade are you planning on buying?

Gail in NY
07-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Trudy - 4th,5th, and 6th

Rebe
07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Rebe - where do you order from?

I have a friend who said she gave the worksheets if they were available for the lesson. Does that mean not every lesson has them?

I think I ordered once from R&S; the rest of the time I get them at our homeschool convention each year.

That's right, not every lesson has a worksheet. It's very convenient for some things, like proofreading or putting in punctuation or marking up poetry. Otherwise they need to copy it first out of the book, which is busywork, IMO.

Kate K
07-22-2009, 11:27 AM
We use them here, too, for 5 grade grammar. Like Rebe said, they help switch things up a bit and give a break from the writing from time to time. I also have her do problems from the book, sometimes a few from the book and the worksheet. Dd enjoys it.

Since there's less review in the grammar than I need to feel confident in her retention, I use the tests, too (I don't in the Math U See because the more review they give). I just like to gauge progress a bit more with the R&S.

I got ours at http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com and they were only a few dollars.

Another great benefit for us is it gave me some nice self contained pages to copy for our review with the school dept. :)