PDA

View Full Version : Art Supplies ?

Lisa in the UP of MI
07-21-2009, 02:47 PM
I have some of the art supplies that I need for next year. But I'm just wondering which brand you all like for:
markers
crayons
colored pencils
watercolors

This will be for K and a pre-K tagging along. Thanks!

Oh, and are there any colored pencils which have lead inside that doesn't break when dropped? That has been a huge problem this year.

Jen M
07-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Whatever works! ;):lol: This age group is not picky. Crayola is nice of course, my youngest loves their Pip Squeaks markers for little hands.

JoAnn's has a set of colored pencils that are the colored part minus the wood. So, you literally have to break the pencil to break the colored part. ;) But they are more expensive than crayola at ~$7 per box, so I'd think it is just cheaper to replace the crayolas (or other cheap brand) as you go.

Laura F
07-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Markers are just messes waiting to happen :lol: but I prefer Crayola washables if I absolutely have to buy them. For colored pencils, I like Faber Castell (http://www.drawyourworld.com/Catalog/HTML/colorpenc.html)with triangular barrels in jumbo sizes for little hands and the watercolor variety, too. I bought 2 sets of Prang watercolors for this year because I read somewhere that Jane Claire recommends them. I also splurged on a couple of sets of Faber Castell erasable crayons (http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Erasable+Crayons+-+15+count/014155/1248228237-2011260)for my 4 y.o. We used the Crayola twistables last year, and she liked those.

Robin H in VA
07-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Well as far as markers, crayons and color pencils go, I use ALL Crayola mainly b/c they come out of clothes, off furniture and walls really easy. I have not had a problem with this with my own ds, but my mom has had problems with some of the great-grands.

As far as watercolors we use the liquids that I purchase from either Discount School Supply or Oriental Trading.

I have noticed lately and my mom and I were just talking about this the other day, that the Crayola's are not as 'bright' as they use to be and the crayons are not as smooth as they use to be. I don't know if Crayola has changed something or not. :unsure: We still buy them though until I find something better. :D

Jen M
07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I thought of something else we use, that your kiddos might enjoy. We love the Do-A-Dot (http://www.amazon.com/Do-Dot-Rainbow-Art-Set/dp/B00004W3Y4) paints. They are painting without all the extra mess. :thumb:

Kendall in GA
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh, and are there any colored pencils which have lead inside that doesn't break when dropped?

:yes: Try the Crayola twistables. :thumb:

Rachel
07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
For watercolors, my favorite is Prang. I started out with just plain ol' watercolors and bought a ton of them. But then I used the Prang and the color can't be beat. I read Amanda Blake Soule's book and she talked about buying the best when creating is involved. For Prang's price, I couldn't not buy the best. They aren't that expensive and they do seem to last. Now your PreK-er will be fine with the regular stuff you can buy at the back-to-school sales but the K-er might like some nice watercolors.

I think I'm going to agree with Laura on the markers thing. I still sort of monitor my kids with markers. Of course I do have my Sam, who could make a mess of air if given the opportunity but still...

Colored pencils - at that age, I just used the regular crayola or roseart colored pencils. When the kids get a bit older, I buy the better brands. Right now we have Prismacolor and Lyra for our good art stuff. I still have a bag of the cheaper pencils for any everyday stuff they want to do.

Jen M
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
:yes: Try the Crayola twistables. :thumb:

These are really nice, but I had a problem with my younger kiddos twisting the lead all the way out and breaking it.

Holly S
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I usually go with whatever is cheapest. However, this year I bought Crayola crayons because they were only 30 cents a box at Walmart and I noticed a huge difference! Usually we get Roseart, but these were so much better! For markers, I just make sure they're washable. ;) For watercolors and color pencils, I usually buy Prang...this year we got Crayola pencils. I also love the watercolor pencils...I have a set of General brand ones from Michael's that I love. I don't let the kids use them too much though...they were more for me. :blush:

Also, don't forget the Magic Erasers if you still have wall artists...they are great for removing pencil, crayon, and marker. ;)