PDA

View Full Version : Reading Made Easy not going so well

ClaireDevaux in SC
07-22-2009, 01:43 PM
with my 4 year old (will be 5 in October). She knows all her letters and most of the sounds they make. We have done well with the individual letter sounds, but she is NOT getting anything past that. Would y'all just drop it for now? If so, would you do something else, or just leave it alone. I feel like I should be doinf some phonics work with her. Thanks!

Also wanted to add that she does well with the workbook lessons that go along, but not so much with the lesson itself.

Heidi J
07-22-2009, 02:17 PM
My dd will be 5 in October too. We have not started it because I didn't want her to get frustrated. She also knows all her letter and their sounds. We have even caught her reading books on her own. I hesitate to start because my oldest dd was having issues when we first started. It wasn't that she couldn't do it but she was getting frustrated. We put it away for a few weeks. When we picked it up again she did a lot better.

Alice R
07-22-2009, 02:20 PM
She is really young. It's probably more developmental than anything else.

I'd put the book away from a long time. ;)

Alice R
07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
with my 4 year old (will be 5 in October). I feel like I should be doing some phonics work with her.

Listen to your child. She is telling you that she isn't ready for phonics yet. Even though you might be. :lol: Many of us know allllll about that...let her lead you.

BethInOK
07-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Take a break for a bit. She may not be ready for the next step. That or try something different. I've had to do both with my ODD. She knew all her sounds and letters, so I was certain she was ready to learn to read. We got HOP (Hooked on Phonics) and I started. It was a disaster. She didn't like it and got to the point where even pulling the thing out stressed her out. I waited several months, got 100 Easy Lessons (which doesn't make much sense to me, but it works great for my daughter), and she's now about 1/3 of the way through it.

Hollie in SC
07-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I would definitely take a break for now. :) We've been there and putting the book away for a while was a good thing. :group:

Paige P
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I, too, would put it away for now. My dd2 was K last year and turned 6 last September. She's known all of her letter sounds since she was 2 1/2, but she was NOT ready to read when she turned 5 (what was her Pre-K year). Toward late spring of that year, she got more interested, and we worked a little on putting words together (consonant/vowel/consonant), but she wasn't "that" enthused. Last year, when she was 6 and in K, she was definitely interested and ready, and learning to read came VERY easily for her.

The longer I hs, the more I'm a proponent of wait, wait, wait until they're ready. They'll "get it" rapidly at that point, and no one (including me ;) ) will get frustrated :D

Susan in Kentucky
07-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I would drop it for now. As far as what to do - when mine were that age I did tons of 'letter of the week' activities. Lots of fun little crafty things - like covering a big letter B with beans, making little 'predictable books' that they could read themselves and lots of file folder games.

Robin(CA)
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I would totally drop it for now. I had to "drop it" 3 times with ds #2. Only at 7 1/2 when we tried for the 4th time was he really ready. It still isn't clicking like it did with #1, but he's getting there.

Laura F
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
She's so young that I would drop RME and pick it up in a year or so. Since she likes individual letters, have you looked at Explode the Code's primers (http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1248290091-862852&subject=5&category=823)? They're a set of 3 and are great for teaching/reinforcing the consonant sounds, and the activities are fun for little ones. I'll be using these with my 4 yo, who wants to do kindergarten but isn't ready yet. BTW, they're very inexpensive.

Jeni
07-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Listen to your child. She is telling you that she isn't ready for phonics yet. Even though you might be. :lol: Many of us know allllll about that...let her lead you.

100% agree. She's not ready. Why do you feel you need to be doing phonics with her? She's sounds like she's already working on a kindergarten level.

She does well with the workbook pages but does she like them? Will she ask for them if you don't do them? If not, I'd drop those too. There is such a temptation to "give your child an advantage" by getting them reading early but what is the advantage of frustrating a child who isn't ready?

ClaireDevaux in SC
07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks SO much for all the replies!!! I am going to check out the Explode the Code Primers. As for the workbook pages for RME, Today after we struggled with RME Lesson #7, she brought out the workbook pages (they were in one of her workboxes) and said "I am ready to do these!" I told her that I thought we would skip those for today, but she inssited on doing them, so we did. She needed a little help, but was very determined to finish them.....not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things, but I think I will lay off for now! Thanks y'all! This is out first year Hsing and I am a little worried about falling behind......:unsure:

Katherine in CA
07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
She knows all her letters and most of the sounds they make. We have done well with the individual letter sounds, but she is NOT getting anything past that. Would y'all just drop it for now? If so, would you do something else, or just leave it alone.

Hi, Claire! :hi:

I haven't read all of the replies, and I'm sure that you've been given excellent advice already, but I wanted to say that my son was the exact same way . . . knowing letters and sounds at that age but NOT being able to blend them together. I chatted with a neighbor who's been an early-elementary educator for decades who reassured me that the step of blending sounds together is a developmental one that can't be rushed. So I put aside the phonics material until he was ready, which was more than a year later.

He loved those Leapfrog videos, and that was enough for a while! :D

Hope that helps! :group: