PDA

View Full Version : What size Funtastic Frogs should I get?

Christine WI
07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm new here, I will be hs'ing my 6 yr old DS in first grade and 4 yr old DD. I will be using FIAR but we haven't started yet. I found some of the funtastic frogs books very cheap and now I need to order some frogs! I didn't realize that there are different sizes, S, M, L, and mixed. Which size should I get? Also, should I get the logs?

Laura F
07-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I bought a container of the small frogs and a set of logs. That works just fine for my 2 girls.

Jeni
07-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Since you have the books, I would get mixed frogs since the book activities often call for the different sizes. If you have the money, order a set of mixed frogs, a set of small frogs and the logs. That's what we have and it is more than enough for any of the books and generally is enough for two children to use at once. ;)

Lori D
07-23-2009, 03:09 AM
Mixed size frogs-- you will need them for some of the books. And, I wish I had purchased the logs. They look fun!

Heather W
07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
mixed unless you have the logs. The logs require small frogs!

Lori D
07-23-2009, 12:33 PM
mixed unless you have the logs. The logs require small frogs!

Would the small size frogs that come in the "mixed frogs" jar be the right size-- or do you need more of them?

Also, if you don't mind, is it worth buying the logs for a 1st grader?-- somehow I missed them when I originally made our frogs purchase.

Heather W
07-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Would the small size frogs that come in the "mixed frogs" jar be the right size-- or do you need more of them?

Also, if you don't mind, is it worth buying the logs for a 1st grader?-- somehow I missed them when I originally made our frogs purchase.
Well the logs are for counting by 10s to 100. There aren't 100 small frogs in the mixed jar.

I don't know if they are worth it for a first grader. You can use them for skip counting and number patterns up to 100. Is that valuable still?

Gail in NY
07-23-2009, 05:19 PM
can this be the sole curr. for a 6 yo? sounds good -

Heather W
07-23-2009, 05:25 PM

If you get the books that go with it sure. RR sells them all.

Christine WI
07-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will go with a set of mixed and a set of small. I can't believe how many books there are to go with them.

Lori D
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM

I am using other games and worksheets that I have on hand, but a large part of my 6yo's math this year is going to done using the frogs + the frog workbooks. I looked up the scope and sequence for 1st grade here (http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students?curriculum/grade1) just to be sure that I cover what is expected of a 6 year old-- I am not super stressed about following it exactly, but it will at least give me something to shoot for.