PDA

View Full Version : I may be driven to violence

Carol S
07-23-2009, 12:45 PM
and this time it's not even by Peter and math. :D

My very intelligent 12 year old, who has had proper verb usage modeled her entire life, uses nonstandard verb forms ALL.THE.TIME. If I hear the word "tooken" come out of her mouth again, I'm going to have to throw a regular "Caps for Sale" tantrum. What is the deal with this? And how do I fix it? I'm leaning toward making her write a big long verb conjugation whenever she uses a nonstandard form.

As in having to write:

I take, you take, he, she it takes, we take, you take, they take
I took, etc.
I have taken
I will have taken

Maybe I'll just start with the present, past, and present perfect and then add on a tense every time she does it. Bwahaha!

Any other suggestions would be very, very welcome. FWIW, the main problems are "tooken" and "aten". Those are really the only ones I can think of, but I see no reason she should have trouble with any of them, especially at her age.

Jeni
07-23-2009, 12:56 PM
She has had it modeled but do you correct her each time she speaks with incorrect or sloppy English?

When my kids use words like tooken and aten I gently correct them and make them say it correctly before they go on. I start when they are 2.5 or 3yo and have done it all their lives. My parents had me do it as a child too. Anymore all I have to say is "tooken isn't a word" and they repeat the sentence correctly on their own.

I find the more time they spend with neighborhood kids, the more these non-words appear in their vocabulary. :eyes: ;)

Carol S
07-23-2009, 01:12 PM
She has had it modeled but do you correct her each time she speaks with incorrect or sloppy English?

Oh, you bet I do.

Tracey
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I always correct anything that does not sound right. We have neighbor kids that are always saying things incorrectly. My kids can hear the difference in the way they speak versus the way the neighbor kids speak.

Rebe
07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Carol, you have me laughing here -- I just can't imagine your 12yo saying tooken or aten. :lol: I'm laughing also because the word here is "brang." As in, "He brang me the coat." :eyes:

I'm like a broken record. Repeat after me: "Brang" is not a word. He brought me the coat.

I haven't heard my oldest say it in a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. Surely they'll grow out of it. Right? :hopefulsmilie:

Do her friends talk like this? If they don't, I think she won't either, after a while. If they do, then you probably have a bigger problem.

Dawn Gilmore
07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
patient consistent correction.

My 10yo ds for the longest time couldn't say his L's or R's properly. We practiced repeatedly, with words like ROLLERSKATE and LOLLIPOP... Occasionally now, out of old habits, he'll still say "yet's" as in "Yet's go to the park." EVERY time, I correct him, and make him go back and say it correctly. For a long time I simply repeated the word "let's" correctly, but I didn't really start seeing improvement until I made him stop and repeat it. We aren't quite there yet, but I hear "yet's" less often all the time. I figure it's an old habit, and will take time to break.

Rachael
07-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Oh Carol! I'm so glad my just turned 13yo isn't the only child that speaks poorly like that! I've also heard the word tooken! My problem is that she does great on all her written work as far as grammar goes. I just think her mouth speaks before her brain catches up to it. We groan, correct her, and tell ourselves that she really will grow out of it... won't she?

Tina B
07-24-2009, 01:37 AM
:roflol: Oh Carol you should try being in my house lol !!! When my soon to be 12 year old daughter mimics her very southern grand mother and red neck dad lol.

Linda
07-24-2009, 02:30 AM
OH.MY.GOODNESS!!! Yes, I'm yelling because I'm in SHOCK!! :lol:

I was thinking of posting something similar but didn't know where to go. My 8 year old has lost all sense of proper speech. Tooken, sawed (as in I sawed that not I sawed a log)...

I totally understand what you are going through and it baffles me as well. She used to speak properly, why did it change? :perplex:

Ok, I'm ready to read the responses now. :roflol: I was just so SHOCKED to see someone else ask exactly what I've been pondering. :)

Kendall in GA
07-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Have your tried standards??? Having to write, "Tooken is not a word." 100x may help her remember. :unsure:

Btw, here's a :group:...I can see how this would push you over the edge in a 12yo. :perplex:...Let's just hope its a short-lived phase!

Carol S
07-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Kendall, I did consider having her write "There is no such word as 'tooken'," but I didn't want to drive the problem term further into her brain! :crazy:

That's why I think I'm going to go the conjugation route. I remember having to write out irregular verb conjugations ad nauseum in 7th grade English class. She's entering 7th, and I believe she can join in the tradition.

Or I could go with, "We are Stettheimers and we speak properly."

Or how about "[My mother's name]'s granddaughter does not use nonstandard verb forms."

Oney
07-24-2009, 09:45 AM
I remember having to write out irregular verb conjugations ad nauseum in 7th grade English class. She's entering 7th, and I believe she can join in the tradition.

:thumb: I think that will do the job! A couple or three times of that and she'll make sure she's speaking correctly. :yes:

Colleen OH
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Not so long ago my Shannah was saying "wiln't" for will not.

:crazy:

Shauna
07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Are you sure she isn't just doing it to get your goat? My DH and I say things like prolly and supposably to each other just to be silly.

Kendall in GA
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Kendall, I did consider having her write "There is no such word as 'tooken'," but I didn't want to drive the problem term further into her brain! :crazy:

I thought about that...You can go the affirmative route and have her write, "Taken is the present perfect [Is that correct???] form of take."

Your other ideas :lol: would work, too!

Carol S
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Shauna, it's a combination. Sometimes she does say it on purpose to irritate me, but it is still what almost always comes out of her mouth.

My husband loves to start sentences with "irregardless" when my mother is visiting. :eyes:

ETA: I don't think I had ever seen prolly until a couple of months ago, but it seems like now I see prolly and probly all over the place. Deep sigh.

And Kendall, just to get truly grammar geeky on you, taken is the participle form of to take. It can be used in several tenses, including present perfect (have taken) and past perfect (had taken).

Kendall in GA
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
And Kendall, just to get truly grammar geeky on you, taken is the participle form of to take. It can be used in several tenses, including present perfect (have taken) and past perfect (had taken).

Thanks for the correction, Carol! I'm not big on remembering names. :)

Kendall in GA
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
My husband loves to start sentences with "irregardless" when my mother is visiting. :eyes:

Big cringe!! :perplex:

Cori~OR
07-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I wonder if she is doing it for a reaction out of you? My kids are saying "poop" and "poopy" all the time now and I think they know it will get us to notice them!!!

No advice just sympathy.

Carol S
07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Big cringe!!

Although, I'll say that mom ALMOST deserves. She has taken to saying "Wah-lah!" after I ranted about that particular pet peeve. :eyes: :lol:

Rachael
07-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Or I could go with, "We are Stettheimers and we speak properly."

Uhm, if you do have her write that, be sure to put the missing comma in! :roflol: