PDA

View Full Version : Saxon Math ?

MicheleStuart
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
We will be using Saxon Math 2 this year. I wonder if most of you all use the meeting book or do you just skip it? Also, do you have your child do both sides of the homework and fact sheets?
Thanks,
Michele

Melinda
07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
We recently just had a discussion on the meeting book but I can't find the thread. The consenses is that nobody uses it. :lol: There's actually a blackline copy of the meeting book page inside the TM so you can make copies if you'd like. The meeting time is scripted in the TM; I don't use it, but I have a friend who just writes all the meeting info on an index card for her dc.

We only do one side of the worksheet. Side 2 is redundant...but great for extra practice. So far our fact cards have only specified the front but I'm assuming that will change soon.

Kendra AU
07-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Michele,

If it were me, I'd skip it. I have the meeting book. It's not used. I'd be more then happy to send it to you if you'd like it. Seriously. I'm not using it. It's taking up space on my shelf for no particular reason. ;)

In it they record the temperature, and write the date. They also keep track of how many days "until" and/or record times. All that could be done on a normal calendar, in a spiral bound notebook, etc.

Kendra

MicheleStuart
07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks girls! Hi Kendra-that is such a sweet offer! I just got my kit today and it has the meeting book. Thanks for the info too!
Michele:kiss:

Michelle B.
07-24-2009, 08:02 AM
My kids have all liked the meeting book. I think they like "making" their own calendar.

Jen in AL
07-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I really, really dislike doing the meetings. We only did them a couple of times a week. This year I'm not going to do them at all with my second grader.

Stacy in OR
07-24-2009, 10:18 AM
We always did the meeting book because it was my kids favorite part and it really helped them to memorize their skip counting and get a good grasp of number patterns (I didn't do everything every single day). We actually skipped the homework sheet because once we did the whole lesson they pretty much had a good grasp of the concept and the concepts were reviewed each day during the beginning of each lesson. We also only did about 1/2 of one side of the fact sheet. I found that once I had drilled with the flashcards (which they prefered), they didn't need a lot of extra practice with the drill sheet. It sounds like we did the opposite of everyone here, but it worked for us!

ann e
07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
We used Saxon 2 and part of the meeting book. If the concept was mastered, we didn't do more graphing. The skip counting is good to know since it's helpful in understanding addition. I think if you find they've mastered the concept, you don't need to do more, but we always did anything that was a new concept in the meeting book.

As far as the homework, you're supposed to do side 1 together, and side 2 as homework. If dd did side 1 by herself and got them all correct, then she didn't need to do side two. Every once in a while they'll do a strange word problem (which I see why some of it's done together and for them to do the other side themselves). So I say use your judgement. I liked that it was practice outside the school time to keep the math portion of the brain moving. But again, if she got side 1 correct, that was the reward, that side 2 wasn't needed.

For both it will be a judgement call. I'm one to get what's needed and discontinue use if it's not. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I see why the meeting book is useful in addition to all the other beginning counting they have.

Julie in FL
07-25-2009, 12:56 PM
MicheleStuart,

First, I'm glad I found this thread!! We have started Saxon kinder and my dd LOVES it!! I wanted to ask if you are really happy with Saxon. I know that may sound like a dumb question since you are using it, but I have read so many forums, probably too many, about math curriculums, i.e. MUS, Singapore, RightStart. The list is endless! I keep reading over and over that Saxon moves slow and is too repetitive. I would like your thoughts since you have already used Saxon k and Saxon 1. I started to purchase MUS, but ended up choosing Saxon. I feel that I made the right decision, I guess I may be second guessing myself!! You can pm me if you prefer.

Thanks!!

MicheleStuart
07-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Julie! We are using Saxon because that is what DS used in CS. Talking to math teacher friends (I also teach PS) most believe the program does a really good job. So, here we are with Saxon (though I dream about Singapore!).
Michele

Julie in FL
07-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks Michele,

I too have a friend who taught in ps here in Florida. She has taught 3rd and 5th grades and they used Saxon and she swears by it!! I'm really concerned that it's going to move too slow and my dd is not going to get a good foundation in math. I also know someone who uses Singapore and she swears by that!! What makes you consider Singapore over Saxon? If you don't mind me asking.... :)

MicheleStuart
07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
When DS was four we lived in Northern Ireland as part of a work exchange. DS started K there and the school used materials very much like Singapore-DS liked them as did I.
Michele

Julie in FL
07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your help!!