PDA

View Full Version : lapbook age ???

Tracey
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
How old is the oldest age to do the lapbooks, cutting and pasting? I have 8 and 10 year olds and sometimes dh ask why the 10-year-old still does this type of school? She loves it though and we do not lapbook everything. We also do notebooking. Well, any help. Thanks! :)

Jo in PRC
07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, I used to be a creative memories consultant and I had women in their 80's coming to cut and paste and make their scrap books...so I'm thinking 10 is definitely NOT too old. If she loves it, keep doing it forever. ;)

Tracey
07-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Well, I used to be a creative memories consultant and I had women in their 80's coming to cut and paste and make their scrap books...so I'm thinking 10 is definitely NOT too old. If she loves it, keep doing it forever. ;)

Thanks! She does like doing this type of activity as she is very artistic, and I let her place things where she wants them. She scrapbooked yesterday for an hour by herself. :) The finished product also looks really nice, and I know she is learning because she can tell me things back.

Rachael
07-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm planning lapbooking again this year for my 13 and 11yo as well as my 5yo. I think they learn a lot this way, if they like to do it.

Tracey
07-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks Rachel. I think we will just keep on going. I plan on adding more writing to her daily work. I do appreciate your response and I am glad to hear others are still using this method with older children. :)

Kendra AU
07-25-2009, 05:06 PM
You could tell your dh that she's doing "this kind of work" because "it's how she learns, and as long as she's learning then you're not particularly fussy about how she stores those memories." ;)

Kendra

Jeni
07-25-2009, 05:08 PM
In The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook, the author talks about (and I believe shows pictures of ) her teenage child doing lapbooks. I also have a book that shows how to do foldables for algebra topics. Lapbooks are just a fancy way of preserving work, they aren't the lesson itself. The information that goes into them needs to be age appropriate but lapbooking in and of itself is appropriate for anyone interested in doing them as far as I'm concerned.

Tracey
07-25-2009, 05:12 PM
You could tell your dh that she's doing "this kind of work" because "it's how she learns, and as long as she's learning then you're not particularly fussy about how she stores those memories." ;)

Kendra
I did tell him and he said Okay. :) I do not think dh really cares how we get the lesson, I think he is just curious.

Tracey
07-25-2009, 05:14 PM
In The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook, the author talks about (and I believe shows pictures of ) her teenage child doing lapbooks. I also have a book that shows how to do foldables for algebra topics. Lapbooks are just a fancy way of preserving work, they aren't the lesson itself. The information that goes into them needs to be age appropriate but lapbooking in and of itself is appropriate for anyone interested in doing them as far as I'm concerned.
I have seen something like this too with the older kids. I am just going to keep doing what we are doing as long as it works. Dh does not really care but he was curious. :)

AmyT
07-26-2009, 02:53 PM
My 10 year old LOVES lapbooks and we will be doing more of them this year.

Tracey
07-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks Amy! :clap:

Laura F
07-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Call it a portfolio instead. :D

Julie Y
07-26-2009, 08:01 PM
At the last FIAR conference, Heidi St. John had a display table of lapbooks made by teenagers in her co-op. I think they were all on a theme of Japan? Maybe China? Anyway, they were absolutely amazing. I'd call them educational works of art. And each one was distinctively different from all the others on the table.

Tracey
07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
At the last FIAR conference, Heidi St. John had a display table of lapbooks made by teenagers in her co-op. I think they were all on a theme of Japan? Maybe China? Anyway, they were absolutely amazing. I'd call them educational works of art. And each one was distinctively different from all the others on the table.
Thanks Julie, something like that does sound nice. I want them to be creative and this is a good way. :)

Lori D
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Our introduction to lapbooks came when my now 23yo dd created them for her studies on WWI and WWII when she was in high school. There was lots of cutting and pasting involved, but I thought that she actually did a very professional presentation. She included timelines, causes and effects, types of vehicles used, weapons... it is an awesome way to present the information acquired about a subject. I have lost track of those lapbooks, but if I ever find them, I will post pics.

If memory serves me, she got some of her ideas from Tobin's Lab (http://www.tobinslab.com/product/DZ-SAMP)(I did not know of many of the resources available now) and used Jackdaws (http://www.jackdaw.com/c-68-resource-books.aspx)portfolios as a resource.

LillianD
07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't see why there would be an age limit, to me, it's no different then scrapbooking:).

Tracey
07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Call it a portfolio instead. :D

Good idea!:clap:

Tracey
07-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't see why there would be an age limit, to me, it's no different then scrapbooking:).

This is a good point! :clap:

Tracey
07-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Our introduction to lapbooks came when my now 23yo dd created them for her studies on WWI and WWII when she was in high school. There was lots of cutting and pasting involved, but I thought that she actually did a very professional presentation. She included timelines, causes and effects, types of vehicles used, weapons... it is an awesome way to present the information acquired about a subject. I have lost track of those lapbooks, but if I ever find them, I will post pics.

If memory serves me, she got some of her ideas from Tobin's Lab (http://www.tobinslab.com/product/DZ-SAMP)(I did not know of many of the resources available now) and used Jackdaws (http://www.jackdaw.com/c-68-resource-books.aspx)portfolios as a resource.

Thanks! I am going to go back and check out those links. :)