PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Pursuits??

Kim L
07-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone ever used it? It looks good but is expensive. I wanted some feedback before I buy.
THanks!

Kendra AU
07-25-2009, 06:08 PM
No, but I truly enjoyed this review (http://candacemercyisnew.blogspot.com/2009/03/artistic-pursuits-review.html) of it by Candace which helped me make a decision on purchasing book one. ;)

Stacy in OR
07-25-2009, 07:54 PM
I used Artistic Pursuits Grades K-3 Book 1 all the way through and went about 1/2 way through Artistic Pursuits Grades K-3 Book 2. We love these books!! I really appreciate the way book 1 presents art chronologically (great for a go-along with a World History study). I liked the way Book 2 presented different artists through time. Brenda Ellis does a great job of combining art history with do-able art projects that are fun, meaningful, and not too complicated. I felt that the price of the books were very reasonable especially compared to other art programs out there. The author was available to answer all my questions about what and where to buy quality art supplies and how to do some of the projects. I used her recommendations for supplies and it made all the difference in the enjoyment and outcome of our projects.

Just a plug for FIAR art lessons - I really think these art lessons are wondeful and meaningful as well! We have enjoyed using both resources for our art lessons.

Shauna
07-25-2009, 09:02 PM
We love it! I reviewed it here (http://treasureseekers.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/1191/).

Kim L
07-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I feel better buying something like this knowing others have used and liked it!
Now, I have to get my act together and make my RR order!!!

Jeni
07-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Argh! Now you guys are making me feel bad that I axed Artistic Pursuits this year because of cost. :( Not only did I need to buy the books but it needed all kinds of supplies that we just don't have around the house. What supplies do you absolutely need one for each child and what can they share? There is a list of needed supplies on the Artistic Pursuits website and it does show what is needed up front and what can wait and what you need good quality of and what can be bought anywhere, any brand but what do you been, there done that mommies think? Even just the book and upfront supplies was almost $100 investment for 3 kids. :unsure:

Stacy in OR
07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I think it depends on what book you buy. If I remember correctly the 1st book for level k-3 used colored pencils, watercolors, and oil pastels a lot. I used regular copier paper instead of expensive art paper. I had four children doing the art lessons at once, so I had two children share one set of materials. The only thing that they each had their own set of was the Prang watercolor paints which also happens to be the cheapest supply. I went with the Prismacolor Scholar pencils. I compared the regular Crayola, Prismacolor Scholar, and higher quality Prismacolor. There was a big difference between Crayola and Prismacolor. I did not see a big difference, at least that would matter to young children, between the two Prismacolors. I opted for the large set of pencils (36 colors) rather than a smaller set for each child. This was based on the authors recommendation to me. She gives great info. on choosing the right materials on her website and she will also answer any questions you have via email. A great resource for all art supplies is DickBlick.com. I can't state enough what a big difference that quality paints, brushes, pencils, colors, etc. make in the enjoyment and outcome of any art project!

Kendra AU
07-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Argh! Now you guys are making me feel bad that I axed Artistic Pursuits this year because of cost. :( Not only did I need to buy the books but it needed all kinds of supplies that we just don't have around the house. What supplies do you absolutely need one for each child and what can they share? There is a list of needed supplies on the Artistic Pursuits website and it does show what is needed up front and what can wait and what you need good quality of and what can be bought anywhere, any brand but what do you been, there done that mommies think? Even just the book and upfront supplies was almost $100 investment for 3 kids. :unsure:

I think they could share it all, but you might have to prepare in advanced. I dunno my two will be sharing because the crayons are $25 a box here and Im not paying $50 at this time. I will invest in another box, but I'm sure we'll love them (and more then children are learning to water color...)

You COULD get away with buying a slightly bigger box of crayons if they are going to share. Like I think they suggest 10 crayons and my box comes with 15. The other thing is, if you go to a place like Hobby Lobby you can use a 50% off coupon EVERY SINGLE DAY. If you give your children the funds to go through the line and purchase supplies you could do it all in one day.

I've no idea if they have all supplies needed, but they'd have the drawing and painting supplies. At least our tiny one did in TN, so I'd imagine elsewhere they would?

Kendra

Jeni
07-27-2009, 07:27 AM
We do have a Hobby Lobby here, I'd never seen one before we moved to KS, but I have yet to see the infamous 50% off coupons. :unsure: And the ones I have seen for Michael's usually exclude a large number of items. :unsure:

So where do you get these 50% off coupons?

Melanie
07-27-2009, 08:36 AM
We do have a Hobby Lobby here, I'd never seen one before we moved to KS, but I have yet to see the infamous 50% off coupons. :unsure: And the ones I have seen for Michael's usually exclude a large number of items. :unsure:

So where do you get these 50% off coupons?

I've never seen a 50% off coupon...but I do know that you can typically print a 40% off coupon directly off of Hobby Lobby's website. I just did this myself and purchased my ds an ant farm to have while rowing Truman. I'm so excited!

Robin in Colorado
07-27-2009, 09:29 AM
We have the preschool book and book 1, and really enjoy them. I got the supplies, and I try to do the projects with the kids. It is opening up new art avenues for us.

Tricia O
07-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Do you think the book for K-3 can be used with a 4th grader as well? Does anyone know how this compares to Artpacs? We have artpacs that are cheap & easy, but we don't get to them very often.

Shelly L
07-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Jeni: I don't recall ever seeing a 50% off coupon for Hobby Lobby, but I've made great use of the 40% ones you can print off from their website, but it's only every other week or so that they have 40% off anything in the store. We have an HL here, and since I "just yesterday" decided to use Artistic Pursuits (I'm able to borrow the book from a friend, so please don't think we are 'flush' to the tune of $150.00 in books and supplies!), I'm going to start hunting down the art supplies that we don't already have.

Tricia: I plan on using Artistic Pursuits with my 4th grader this fall. I think she will enjoy it. I'm sad to learn that there are THREE books at this level, because there's no way I can get through all of them in one year, but Book One is the book that I can borrow, so beggars can't be choosy! I guess I will pay a little less attention to the grade level on the books, as I tend to do with a lot of our homeschool materials!

I look forward very much to still implementing FIAR art ideas throughout the year, as well. We have done minimal formal 'art' in our school, but Jane's lessons are the most memorable we've done, hands down!

Shelly L.

Kendra AU
07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Ahh, you see.. to get those nifty 50% off coupons you must go to their websites! Every other week they use to have a 50% off coupon which was good for anything but material and "made to order" stuff. :D

Go to Hobby Lobby
Click on This Weeks Specials (http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm)
Choose Coupon OR
Text Coupon.

Enjoy,
Kendra

Melanie
07-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Ahh, you see.. to get those nifty 50% off coupons you must go to their websites! Every other week they use to have a 50% off coupon which was good for anything but material and "made to order" stuff. :D

Go to Hobby Lobby
Click on This Weeks Specials (http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm)
Choose Coupon OR
Text Coupon.

Enjoy,
Kendra

It looks like there is a 25% off coupon now. I have never seen anything more than a 40% off coupon. :unsure: Hmmm...I guess I will have to keep checking back!

Kendra AU
07-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh.. and if you keep an eye on their ads (you can do so online) you'll see art supplies on sale LOTS. I use to pick up paint brushes, fresh watercolors, crayons, markers.. you name it as they came on sale. I kinda miss that cause I have to drive an hour now to get to a semi decent art supply store. Then I have to pay $25 for my box of water color crayons :lol:

Ps.. this week's coupon is good for 25% off anything in the shop. ;) Few exclusions, but not anything needed for Artistic Pursuits. :D

Kendra

Rachel
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
I've never seen a 50% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. Maybe once, in the newspaper, a few years ago. I've often seen a 40% off coupon, usually every other week. And I check usually every week. Still 40% off on something is really good IMO.

I do like the discussion on Artistic Pursuits ladies! This is one that I had marked in my RR catalog but I just wasn't sure about it. I didn't know about all of the supplies that were needed and that it would be so pricey. What sorts of supplies do you need exactly?

Jeni
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Yup got the 25% off coupon so I guess I just keep an eye on their website. ;)

Shelly, for just one kiddo, you could get Artistic Pursuits and on their website they have a cool art supply bag (http://www.artisticpursuits.com/03mk-3.htm) with every thing you need for the whole program. If I had only one kiddo to buy supplies for or we were still members of the charter school that paid for our supplies, I'd be all over that. ;)

Stacy in OR
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Tricia,

Most definitely!

Shelly L
07-28-2009, 01:39 PM
I think paint brushes and other misc painting supplies are 50% of this week at Hobby Lobby. I thought we had the paint brush suggested, but we don't, so I might go in and get one.... UNLESS...

....I instead go with Jeni's idea of getting the bag full of art supplies that Artistic Pursuits sells! We had several things needed: soft pastels, oil pastels, watercolor pad -- well, I guess that's about it! Hmmmm... now I've got some thinking to do.....

Shelly L.

Editing to say: The price of the Artistic Pursuits supply pack is $95.00 with tax/shipping. I think I can get the remainder of supplies under that, for sure. I wanted to mention that I have gotten Prismacolor pencils (not needed for this book) and oil pastels both at garage sales, so keep on the lookout, ladies!

Kendra AU
07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I've never seen a 50% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. Maybe once, in the newspaper, a few years ago. I've often seen a 40% off coupon, usually every other week. What sorts of supplies do you need exactly?

Yup, that's it 40% off.. See what happens when you don't need/use it for years, you forget! :lol:

If you go here (http://www.artisticpursuits.com/03mk-3.htm) you'll see a list. You need watercolors, tissue paper, scissors, paint brushes (specific sizes), water color crayons, watercolor paper, construction paper, specific drawing pencil, specific eraser, clay, etc.. It's really not much stuff and I'm pretty certain it could all be obtained (good quality) through HL at a decent price.

Shauna
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
I already had many of the supplies for the first book because they're pretty common, especially if you already do FIAR art lessons. The water color crayons were the most expensive, but I got them at Michael's or Hobby Lobby with a coupon. The author divides supplies into several groups, and each lesson uses supplies from only one group (at least I think so--I'll have to grab my book and double check). I didn't have all the supplies needed for the entire book when we started using it, so I initially focused on the activities that used the supplies I already had on hand and picked up the rest later. For example, an ebony pencil, eraser, and paper are the only supplies needed for one of the groups, so I chose several of the activities that featured that group. I think the tissue paper and clay are only used in one or two activities, so you wouldn't necessarily need those right away.

I think curriculum fair season is mostly over, but I met Brenda at one this spring and she was selling the art supply totes there at reduced prices.

Julie in FL
07-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I have never heard of Artistic Pursuits until now!! And I absolutely love it!! We are new to FIAR and will be starting this fall.
Does everyone supplement with Artistic Pursuits?

Jeni
07-29-2009, 01:12 PM

No, I'd venture to say most people don't supplement at all. ;)

We haven't ever supplemented FIAR art. I was/am considering Artistic Pursuits mainly for my oldest son who has finished FIAR and is only loosely doing Beyond. I wouldn't consider an art program at all probably except he is very artistic and likes to draw and create. My FIAR'ers were just going to be tag alongs on Artistic Pursuits. ;)

When I decided to axe Artistic Pursuits because of the cost, I decided to just use the FIAR art lessons to their fullest and include my oldest in the art lessons. The art lessons, esp in Vol 1-4 are very rich and have lots to offer. There is no need to supplement them IMO. ;)

I'm still on the fence about Artistic Pursuits. I think I might just go with the FIAR art plan for now and collect supplies with the HL and Michael's coupons. ;)

Julie in FL
07-29-2009, 03:37 PM
I've looked through vol 1, and the art seemed rich to me. I was just wondering, but I will keep it in mind for my girls as they get older. We don't have a HL here, but we have a Michael's and they are having a "Dollar Days" sell this week, just an FYI :)

Kendra AU
07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Julie,

The only reason we're doing extra art was because my 8 year old requested to learn more specifically about WaterColors. He's fallen so in love with them and the books we've seen that use them (specifically Grandfather's Journey) that he asked if we could learn how to use them properly. So I tried to find him someone who would give him lessons, but despite living in a very artsy area they are all frightened of teaching a child. :eyes:

So, I decided to find an art curriculum or supplement that would help him learn what he wanted to know. I figure if I can get his feet grounded enough in it, perhaps he can take off and be self-taught. We shall see. :)

I certainly don't think any art program is necessary with FIAR. There's so much wonderful art covered in the books.

Kendra

Kendall in GA
07-29-2009, 06:31 PM

No, my guess is that most FIAR users do NOT supplement art; however, if you'd like to I'd say go for it! :)

Julie in FL
07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks....I think being first timers with FIAR we'll stick with the art in the curriculum, but I will keep Artistic Pursuits in mind for the future.

Tricia O
09-10-2009, 01:54 AM
I just wanted to say that we bought Artistic Pursuits book 1 and are loving it. It is a great incentive to get them through their school work every day. :D Thanks for sharing about this (and of course, we still do FIAR art lessons as well). ;)

Kendra AU
09-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Yup our's FINALLY arrived and I'm not sorry about the price I paid AT ALL. :D

Lis in MA
09-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I was just on Millers Pads and Paper (http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/catalog.aspx?categoryid=3&ItemsCategoryID=3&ItemsItemID=83) last night, and noticed that they have a sale on Artistic Pursuits.... both on the books, books and "kits" that go with them, and even just the kits! Hope this helps someone....

Blessings~
Lis