PDA

View Full Version : how many days of foreign language?

Sasha
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
all this talk of foreign language has me wondering how many days a week everyone does for 1st grade?

Dawn Gilmore
07-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't think foreign language is one of those things you can pick up doing occasionally... I think regular practice, but just a few minutes at a time would be a better approach.

I don't know what language you are thinking of teaching, but if you are thinking about Spanish, I know I've seen lots of books that have spanish text mixed right in... it would be a gentle easy approach. Surely there must be books for other languages written that way, as well.

Sasha
07-25-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't think foreign language is one of those things you can pick up doing occasionally... I think regular practice, but just a few minutes at a time would be a better approach.

I don't know what language you are thinking of teaching, but if you are thinking about Spanish, I know I've seen lots of books that have spanish text mixed right in... it would be a gentle easy approach. Surely there must be books for other languages written that way, as well.

we're doing Latin, but most of it is on a cd so it probably is easier to do more often. I was just wondering if people did it every school day or just a couple out of the week.

Jeni
07-26-2009, 10:04 AM
My fifth grader does Latin everyday. Personally, I wouldn't do Latin with a first grader. I like them to have English down pat; reading it, writing it, spelling it, grammar.... before getting into Latin. Even a child who has been reading since the age of 4 needs more time and practice doing it than their short 4 years of life have provided before moving on to the more advanced thought processes Latin and grammar instruction require. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to teach some Latin roots and vocabulary in lower grammar grades and that could be done once or twice a week but a true foreign language like Latin, Spanish, French, German....they need to be taught or at least practiced everyday for maximum effectiveness.

I like to focus all of my attention on the 3R's in lower grammar school and spend any extra time reading literature and dabbling in history and science. Upper grammar and middle school are when I start to add in grammar, Latin, formal history and science, formal writing and things like that. Those subjects seem to cause less stress for both mom and student when the foundational skills in reading, writing and arithmetic have been established in the early years. ;)

Sasha
07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
My fifth grader does Latin everyday. Personally, I wouldn't do Latin with a first grader. I like them to have English down pat; reading it, writing it, spelling it, grammar.... before getting into Latin. Even a child who has been reading since the age of 4 needs more time and practice doing it than their short 4 years of life have provided before moving on to the more advanced thought processes Latin and grammar instruction require. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to teach some Latin roots and vocabulary in lower grammar grades and that could be done once or twice a week but a true foreign language like Latin, Spanish, French, German....they need to be taught or at least practiced everyday for maximum effectiveness.

I like to focus all of my attention on the 3R's in lower grammar school and spend any extra time reading literature and dabbling in history and science. Upper grammar and middle school are when I start to add in grammar, Latin, formal history and science, formal writing and things like that. Those subjects seem to cause less stress for both mom and student when the foundational skills in reading, writing and arithmetic have been established in the early years. ;)

I know lots of 1st graders that have done this Latin program and they've done very well. I was just interested in knowing how many days people spent on it.

Deb M
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry this isn't total on topic. But which latin program are you using? One I have seen that is supposed to be for 1st grade has a lot of reading and seems to ramp up pretty fast.

Paige P
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't know if there's a true recommendation or not. I'm thinking of adding a FL and am thinking of doing it 2-3 times a week........ Of course, since I'm thinking of doing French, which I speak, I'll make more of an effort to speak it to the kids throughout the day, as well.