PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Textbooks to Life of Fred

Heather (WI)
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
How easy would it be to switch from Teaching Textbooks 7 and go into Life of Fred pre-Algebra?

Can anyone tell me more about their experiences with Life of Fred? Is it pretty student-independent like TT is?

Kendall in GA
07-26-2009, 07:22 PM
We've used LOF Fractions. It is very much written to the student and designed to be done independently; however, teacher involvement is required whenever the student is unable to understand an explanation in the text. I suppose the same is true for any curriculum.

I haven't seen or used LOF PreAlgebra; but, I suspect it is the same ~ written to the student for independent study.

WendyW
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
DS went from the TT 7th grade, into LOF Algebra 1

Both are designed to be independent, but NOT in the same way. TT is someone TEACHING it to the student. In the learning skills required, it's not that different than sitting in a classroom and watching a teacher. I just gives the student more control in re-watching, and getting specific examples explained.

LOF is a written explanation, with printed examples to follow. The student MUST take the time, and apply the effort, to follow the examples while reading the text. It takes a whole different set of learning skills. My ds took some time to learn this, and ended up repeating the first 2 chapters because he just skimmed through it all the first time, and then hit a wall. By the end of the year, he was doing fine, and he went from a D in the first quarter, to an A+ in the third.:clap: Also, LOF frequently has questions that require the student to really think through not just the math process, but the reasoning behind the questions. Many times the answer to a question is: not possible! There are also some questions that the child will NOT know how to figure out. They are put there to make the child stretch their thinking, and the explanation is given in the answers section.

I had no complaints about TT (we switched due to cost) but I think LOF does a better job of teaching THINKING, not just math.

Kendall in GA
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I had no complaints about TT (we switched due to cost) but I think LOF does a better job of teaching THINKING, not just math.

You're assessment of LOF Algebra can be said of LOF Fractions. You're absolutely right...The student certainly has to think. (A lazy student will initially have a tough time with Fred.) I really like that about Fred.

I'd never really thought about it; but, it does actually require a different skill set. :thumb: :thumb: for Fred!

Heather (WI)
07-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Thank you Kendall and Wendy!! Wendy--that was a great explanation, thanks!! :thumb:

We love TT, too, but the cost is what is making me consider other options, too.

Mary in AZ
07-29-2009, 12:02 AM
How basic do the LOF books begin? Hmm... that didn't sound quite right. I've seen a couple of the books, but I was under the impression they were primarily high school age books. Are there some written for much younger children? I LOVE the idea of them.

Kendall in GA
07-29-2009, 07:33 AM
How basic do the LOF books begin?

Fractions is the first book. Any student that can add, subtract, multiply and do long division proficiently, i.e. w/o assistance, is ready for LOF - Fractions. :)

Heather W
07-29-2009, 07:42 AM
We like Fred too...the one thing I would add about Fred is that if your dd is the kind of student that likes to get to the business at hand, Fred will make her crazy!

My son hates it when slow explanations get in the way of him doing his math. TT would make him just as nuts because that guy is slow. He's enjoyed the Horizons approach for grades 4, 5, 6 where he reads a text box on how to solve problems and then does them.

He's just that kind of math student. You know where no matter what problem you throw at him he'll think it over and get it right?? His father, his grandfather, and his great-grandfather are/were all engineers. Is it any wonder we'd have at least one child who thinks like an engineer??

Fred will stretch him, but for him a regular diet of nothing but Fred might be his undoing.:lol:

I was amazed as I watched him to his assessment yesterday on Aleks Math. No matter what the computer through at him, he figured it out and largely without paper. It was fun to watch!

Sue in MN
08-11-2009, 07:43 PM
How easy would it be to switch from Teaching Textbooks 7 and go into Life of Fred pre-Algebra?

Can anyone tell me more about their experiences with Life of Fred? Is it pretty student-independent like TT is?

I didn't know that LOF had a Pre-Algebra book. I have the Fractions book and the Decimals & Per Cent book but I thought the next book was the Algebra book. Is there something new?

Christy did TT7 last year. This year we started with TT Pre-Algebra and got bogged down. Half-way through the year we switched to LOF Fractions. She is now finishing LOF Decimals & Per Cents. I considered purchasing LOF Algebra for next year but Christy went with me to the MACHE conference and she chose to do Jacob's Algebra. So that is what is now waiting on our shelf for Sept. 8.

Kendall in GA
08-11-2009, 09:59 PM
OMW!! I have an additional comment:

My dd started TT7 this week after having done MUS through half of Epsilon at which time I switched her to LOF - Fractions. IMO, TT7 is painfully sloooooooow compared to MUS and LOF. (It would drive me :crazy:; but, my dd doesn't seem to mind.) The pace is VERY different. I believe that is the case b/c MUS and LOF use the mastery approach v. the spiral approach used by TT.

If your student doesn't mind the short & sweet mastery approach then LOF will be just fine. :)

CJ
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I didn't know that LOF had a Pre-Algebra book. I have the Fractions book and the Decimals & Per Cent book but I thought the next book was the Algebra book. Is there something new?

There is no Pre-Algebra book... yet. Mr. Schmidt confirmed to me a couple weeks ago that he is writing one. He hopes to have it finished in October. It's a Pre-Algebra book that comes after Fractions and Decimals. It has a Biology theme and he may be writing a couple more Pre-Algebra theme books as well.

This is great because I have kids that have finished Fractions and Decimals in 5th or 6th and just aren't ready for the Beg. Algebra book yet. This will give us options.
:D

(He has also just finished a Linear Algebra book for upper high school students.)

Kendall in GA
08-12-2009, 05:54 AM
This is great because I have kids that have finished Fractions and Decimals in 5th or 6th and just aren't ready for the Beg. Algebra book yet. This will give us options.
:D

I will be in the very same boat next year and am, too, excited about having this option! :D :clap:

Sue in MN
08-14-2009, 10:22 PM
There is no Pre-Algebra book... yet. Mr. Schmidt confirmed to me a couple weeks ago that he is writing one. He hopes to have it finished in October. It's a Pre-Algebra book that comes after Fractions and Decimals. It has a Biology theme and he may be writing a couple more Pre-Algebra theme books as well.

How interesting! Christy is studying Biology this year so if we have problems with Jacob's Algebra I will be tracking down the new LOF book.