View Full Version : Need some advice/opinions on history (4th grade)

Sheila in KY
07-27-2009, 07:46 AM
We are doing 4th grade this year, and I am in a dilemma over history.

We did about half of Story of the World, Vol 1, in 2nd grade. Then last year we did Abeka American history.

This year I don't know what to do. I was thinking about going back to story of the world, but at this late point, it would be 2-3 years before we ever made it to volume 4, modern history. Should I jump in with volume 4 now, and then go back to volume 1 next year and start over with it?

Or is there another history anyone would recommend over this?

07-27-2009, 08:28 AM
We're beginning Mystery of History this year. It tends to be targeted towards the upper elementary ages. I think you could still learn lots from SOTW if you like that format. :yes: I just couldn't get into the author's writing style and now that my girls are older I went with a different program.

07-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I've had Story of the World on my shelf for years, the whole thing, books, audio CDs and activity guides. In those formats, it never got used except we did like listening to the CDs in the car on long car rides. :eyes: :lol:

My fifth grader is doing History Odyssey this year and so far he and I both LOVE it! I have the younger version of History Odyssey for my younger ones but I've not been very good about doing theirs with them. :blush: I like it and it does use SOTW but I still feel like it's an "extra" with all the history they are getting from FIAR so it often gets "bumped" from our day. :unsure:

However, back to my fifth grader, History Odyssey level two is what he is doing and the lesson plans are geared toward the child and meant for him to complete on his own which is absolutely fabulous to me. :lol: He has no trouble doing it on his own and it has just the right amount of daily work for him so it's not overwhelming. :thumb: It includes the following "topics": reading for facts and summarizing/written narration, map work, historical fiction and narration, projects (like History Pockets and others), timeline and some copywork. It starts out having them copy things and works toward them doing their own summaries and written compositions.

I'm really liking this program and I think I'll be having all my kids work from 5th grade through high school with History Odyssey. In K-4 I'm more than happy with just FIAR for history. ;)

Tricia O
07-27-2009, 09:04 AM
My oldest daughter is in fourth grade, and we are only doing FIAR for history, and we think it's enough, as she did very well on social studies in her test last spring.

07-27-2009, 11:34 AM
We did Beautiful Feet for 3rd and probably will continue. My son loved it and we did the timeline that you can buy with it, which was fun.