PDA

View Full Version : Favorite book for beginning handwriting?

Angel
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I am trying to decide what to use for my daughter this year. She has traced a few letters but that is it. I have considered the preK book from Handwriting Without Tears and then saw the K book from A Reason For Writing.

What is your favorite penmanship series? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Robin(CA)
07-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Hanwriting without Tears. Love it. It's easy to use and the kids love it.
:thumb:

Angel
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't need all the extra stuff that HWT sells, right? I could just get the preK book?

Sasha
07-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I second HWOT, I've used it with two kids. I bought most of the stuff to go with it but wished I wouldn't, we never used it.

Melanie
07-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't need all the extra stuff that HWT sells, right? I could just get the preK book?

The only "extra" that I bought was the slate (I also bought the chalk and sponges, but you could get that elsewhere). I think the slate made handwriting fun for ds.

Angel
07-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks! I will order that. I used HWOT for my youngest son when he learned cursive but I didn't know they had preK until recently. My sons were in school at the beginning so this preK stuff is new to me.

Angel
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I forgot to ask, do I need the Teacher's Guide or is it necessary?

Sasha
07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
I forgot to ask, do I need the Teacher's Guide or is it necessary?

I bought it but again, didn't need it.

Angel
07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks! I've done my share of buying things that weren't needed over the years. I'm trying to be much better this time around.

Jeni
07-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Later this year I'm going to buy the Magnadoodle board from HWT for my 3yo to use. She likes to try and write letters but I'm not wanting to try and do too much, too soon like I did with my oldest. :eyes:

I've used HWT and feel like I know the lesson material well enough that I don't need the teacher's manual and I'm holding off on the workbook until she's 4yo. ;)

The nice thing about the Magnadoodle board is that it has the lines and curves as magnetic stamps so we can use those independently of the Magnadoodle board in the same way we would use the wooden pieces they sell. ;)

Kendall in GA
07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
A Reason for Handwriting :thumb:

Laura F
07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Another vote for A Reason for Handwriting! I especially love the K book. If you want to buy the TM, there's just one for all levels, but I've only used it for the K year.

Lisa in the UP of MI
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I just bought HWT K and pre-K as well as many of the extras. I have two littles who will be tagging along and I thought that they would all enjoy having something to do along with big sis. We are a very hands-on family and I'm sure even dd will enjoy using the extra materials along with her workbook. If it was just dd I probably would have just bought the slate.

Angel
07-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Another vote for A Reason for Handwriting! I especially love the K book. If you want to buy the TM, there's just one for all levels, but I've only used it for the K year.

I would love to hear why you especially love the K book. I did use A Reason for Writing for a while with my sons but they were older. So I'm familiar with some of those levels. What makes the K book so good?

Thanks! You would think after 10 years these decisions would be easier. I guess not.

KristenS
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm curious about the K one too. It looks very cute (from the TG) but we didn't really start handwriting till first for Ted (unless you count the Explode the Code primers). I was wondering if I should get K for Maddy next year or just skip it. (She's already done the ETC primers and has decent motor skills, so I don't know if she really needs it?)

I do like AR4H so far, the whole practice and copywork aspect.

Robin H in VA
07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
We started with Handwriting Without Tears and soon changed to A Reason for Writing and then ended up back with Handwriting Without Tears and that is was we are sticking with. :clap:

Mary FL
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
A Reason for Handwriting :thumb:

Same here!

Our dd is in the "T" book now which transitions to cursive. Both of my children started in K.

Laura F
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I would love to hear why you especially love the K book. I did use A Reason for Writing for a while with my sons but they were older. So I'm familiar with some of those levels. What makes the K book so good?

Thanks! You would think after 10 years these decisions would be easier. I guess not.

The theme of the K book is God's creation. On the back of each lesson is a coloring page. Most are of animals. The TM gives info on the animal/creation and sometimes has a suggestion for an extended activity. My oldest loved coloring these animals.

After the K book, we moved to Book A, and now we're partially through Book T. I like that there's just enough handwriting practice without it being too much. I love that each week focuses on a Bible verse, so we've been able to incorporate Scripture memory with handwriting!

Go here (http://www.areasonfor.com/article.php?id=7) to download sample pages of the different levels.