PDA

View Full Version : 5th grade help

Tracey
07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Okay, I need some help adding to my 5th dd's lesson load. We are going to do a few books from volume 4 and the rest are beyond titles. The thing I am having trouble with is I want her to do more on her own and I somehow cannot come up with how to implement that part. Her 8-year-old sis is rowing with her because they really just want to stay together and it is easier for me but sometimes lil sis is slower and older sis has to either wait for her to catch up or she starts wandering. I would really appreciate any advice.:)

LindainOK
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Is there a subject area in which you think your dau would benefit from more practice? That'd provide a time of independent work from a text. Or add a foreign language? We have the old geo safari and it's used alot for those extra minutes of What to do!

Jeni
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I have an 11yo fifth grader and an "turns 8yo on Wednesday" 3rd grader and they are doing separate lessons but that doesn't mean they can't sit in on each others lessons and listen. If you just can't bring yourself to do FIAR and BYFIAR at the same time, just switch your focus. On the FIAR Vol 4 focus the lessons at your 8yo and if the 10yo learns a thing or two great. When you do a BYFIAR unit, focus on your 10yo and if your 8yo learns something, it's frosting on the cake. Your 8yo can always row it again when she's the focus and you can encourage your 10yo to do more research on the things she picked up from her sister's lesson.

As for being more independent, my fifth grader has check lists. I make a list of the lessons for Beyond I want him to complete and I ask that he complete two lessons from the check list each day. If it's something ongoing or needs more research, I ask that it's at least started. He also has Independent school work chore cards (see my chore post). I'd say a little more than half of his school work at this point is expected to be completed independently. That doesn't mean he does it all by himself, he still needs help sometimes or has to check with me on something and probably at least once a week he has to completely re-do an assignment because he didn't follow the directions properly but it's all part of the learning process. He is coming to me for help less and less as he gets better at working independently. It's definitely something you have to train them for. You can't just expect them to work independently when they've never done it before. Start small, with one or two clearly defined assignments each day that she is to try and complete on her own before coming to you for help and as she's successful with that, keep adding assignments.

Here's Patrick's list on independent work:

Math Skills (we focus on one area each month)
Math fact drill
Copywork
Latin
History
5-a-Day (review of current math topics we are studying)
Memory work
Grammar

Here's what he does with me:

BYFIAR (we read together and go over the assignment checklist together then he completes the work on his own)
Language Arts/writing
Math lesson (the actual lesson)
Spelling
Science (we do this as a family)

Tracey
07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks Linda, I guess I just do not want the oldest to fall behind waiting on the younger one. I was going to do vol 4 with 8-year-old and beyond with 10-year-old but they both protested.

Tracey
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks Jeni, you are always very helpful. :)

Kendall in GA
07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
My dd does lots of BY work independently. Here's how BYFIAR looks at my house:

Monday: Read selected chapter(s) together. We each have a copy of the book and alternate reading pages/chapters aloud.

Tuesday: We discuss/I teach selected lessons for the week. (The number of lessons varies.) I assign independent work due at the end of the week. Independent assignments usually include additional research on a person or topic. I try to be creative in assignments and allow her freedom on how she wants to present her material. (All of her work is keep in a 3-prong folder. She has one for each BY title. It is sort of lapbooking meets notebooking. :lol: )

Wednesday - Friday: My dd works on her own on her assignments. I avail myself to questions and assistance if needed.

That's it! You can tweak this system for both of your girls by giving age appropriate assignments. For example, your 10yo may do more writing.

HTH!

Btw, if I remember, I'll throw one of my dd's BY folders in my bag and take it to the Expo this Friday. If you run into me be sure to ask to see it...I'd be more than happy to share. :)

Tracey
07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Kendall, :clap: Thanks so much. We will be looking for you Friday. Thanks for all the help you give to everyone here. :clap: