PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Bennett Sale

Hollie in SC
07-30-2009, 09:23 AM
http://unitstudy.com/lost_july_2009_bonanza.htm

Heather W
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I want the Digital Photography one for my son this year in addition to Famous Inventors- part of the heroes series.

How do the CDs compare to the digi file? The inventors doesn't come in the digi format. I guess it's too big? I thought I'd use it with George Washington Carver. Nice?

Hollie in SC
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
How do the CDs compare to the digi file?

I love the CD's. Sometimes the CDs have extras on them. My American Hero CD has a timeline and notebooking pages. You can always email her and ask. :)

Heather W
07-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I love the CD's. Sometimes the CDs have extras on them. My American Hero CD has a timeline and notebooking pages. You can always email her and ask. :)

Very cool. Well since it's not available in the other format I will order it during the sale. Makes sense.

Thanks!

Hollie in SC
07-30-2009, 10:04 AM
I just checked some of my CDs and some have extra files (like a public domain reading book that goes with the study) and some don't. I think the CDs are about a dollar cheaper during the sale....and she has free shipping. :)

Nancy Ann
07-30-2009, 10:35 AM
How do you use her studies? I think they are for older kids right? I used the inauguration one earlier in the year and I was SOOOO frustrated. I had to hunt for all sorts of information on the web. I prefer the Hands of a Child research pack because they give you the information you need. But I suppose with an older child it's good to learn to find the info. But if I found it frustrating I wonder if even an older child would too!

I have been interested in the Train study for sometime now but the Inaguration study really turned me off. So just wondering what your experiences have been like with these studies. I guess my problem is that I know there is tons of information on the web but I prefer using books from the library. I am web saavy and can find my way around the web just fine, I just would rather use the web to point me to a book than read websites. (other than your guys blogs!!)

Rachel
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm interested in what you think of these studies as well. Obviously you like them because you shared the sale but do you use these as a stand alone study when you don't do a FIAR book or do you use it to add to something? Is it enough for a stand alone unit study? What ages are they geared towards?

Heather W
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Amanda Bennett studies are structured unit studies in terms of the routine she has set in most of them. The day starts with some copywork and vocabulary words and a set of questions for the day that you will explore. There's a list of projects, websites and books you can use along the way.

Rachel the study is broken down into two age groups- elementary and then older elementary/middle school and up. It calls for a decent amount of writing so keep that in mind if you want to use it as is.

Nancy- I actually find the Hands of a Child project packs very frustrating! Everything is so prescribed it makes me crazy!:lol: Isn't it funny how we are all so different.

I use the studies sometimes on their own and sometimes with a FIAR study if it fits. I'm considering inventors to with the Beyond title George Washingon Carver for instance.

We did the baseball study one summer and my son enjoyed it.

Sometimes it's good to just use a part of a study at any given time. If you are a person who enjoys the structure of knowing the direction you are going each day this is a great format.

Last year we did some of oceans. I'd like to try the digital photography unit for my going on 11 yr old. Scrapbooking for my 9yo girl. I recently looked through it and got out a go along at the library. My dd has been enjoying it.

I consider it another tool to use to make a great unit study.

Hollie in SC
07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
First, Amanda has a yahoo group for detailed questions. ;)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amandabennettunitstudies/

Amanda has several different types of items--not just her unit studies. She has Unit Studies, Unit Study Helps, Bible Studies and Heroes of History. I have at least one item from each category. :)

These unit studies are traditional unit studies (http://www.unitstudy.com/articles/The%20Basics.htm). A full immersion into a subject. :yes: They are research units to be done with your kids. There are books suggestions, activity suggestions, and tons of internet links. They are divided into days where you do have specific work from copywork, to definitions, to some Q&A and research. They are divided into "upper level" and "lower level" (http://www.unitstudy.com/multi-age_unit_studies.htm). Amanda has done the organizing of the study and a lot of extra footwork. :thumb: Here is a sample of the daily plan (http://www.unitstudy.com/elections_samples.htm).

For the record ;) we have used Footsteps in the Faith and completed a unit study on the Olympics (it was a 2 week one I think) our first year of homeschooling. I have the Athletes of the Bible study and will be working with Eli to add that in when he finishes a missionary book he has been working on for some of his Bible times.

I love what she has available for the unit studies and have several, but haven't used them to the fullest. In general, I've been waiting for my 9yo to improve his writing skills and this year we plan to work on the Christmas study. :clap: Rachel, I plan to use this between my Beyond studies.

Heather has answered while I've been typing and schooling so I'm going to just submit what I've written so far. :)

Rachel
07-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Heather and Hollie - thanks so much for the help!

Another yahoo group? :lol: I am sometimes inundated with the yahoo group thing, KWIM? It almost seems like it's for someone who already has some of the curriculum and likes it and is using it. But I might join it in order to ask some questions.

Jane Claire
08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Here is a list of Five in a Row Story selections and how Amanda Bennett’s Unit Studies on various topics might add to your school time. These studies are a wonderful resource and are good for many years of use. The topic above the story titles are a few of Amanda’s studies.

Oceans
Granma’s Walk
Night of the Moonjellies

Lighthouses
Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

Horses
The Gully Washer
Wild Horses of Sweetbriar
Finest Horse in Town
Cowboy Charlie

Flight
Glorious Flight

Gardens
Peter Rabbit
Miss Rumphius

Pioneers
Warm as Wool
Follow the Drinking Gourd

Thanksgiving
Cranberry Thanksgiving

Trains
Mailing May Train (Steam Train)
Andy and the Circus (Circus Train)
Hannah’s Cold Winter (cog RR)

Ocean
Sailing Ships
Arabella
They Were Strong and Good

American Gov’t
Hatmaker’s Sign
Paul Revere’s Ride

Patriotic Holidays
Paul Revere’s Ride
Lentil
Finest Horse in Town

Digital Photography (from then to now)
Snowflake Bently

Auto Racing
Pumpkin Runner [could go with the different kinds of races, balloon, and jeep races that are in this story]

Space
Another Celebrated Dancing Bear [Cosmonauts]
Follow the Drinking Gourd
Owl Moon
Truman’s Aunt Farm

Hollie in SC
08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
:clap: Thanks so much, Jane!

Heather W
08-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jane! We did use Oceans with Arabella and Night of the Moonjellies last year.:)

I hadn't thought of using the Horses study. What a great idea!

I still like her Heroes of Invention to go with George Washington Carver- a Beyond title.

Rachel
08-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Thank you for sharing that Jane. :)

Heather W
08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Just bought:

horses
pioneers
heroes of invention
digital photography

I'm still thinking on gardening and lighthouses, but for now this is enough.:)

ami*
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I just had the opportunity to really sit down and LOOK through the Flight study about 2 weeks ago. We've already rowed Volume I once, and I was looking for something more for my son to dive into after we re-row The Glorious Flight.

WOW! Was I excited when I started plowing through the study. Amanda has done all the organizational work for you. She's done all the brainstorming for you. The only thing I plan on adding is library books.

I went through the study and made a list of websites (from Amanda's recommendation) that I want my son to use in conjunction. My husband put them on a CD for my son (since I don't want him surfing the www alone).

I can see us using lots of her studies in the future. Ten dollars for one of her studies is a deal, IMO. :)

We will probably add in her Oceans study in the spring after we re-row Night of the Moonjellies. :)

Rachel
08-05-2009, 12:49 AM
You guys have sold me on this. I'm excited to add something fun to our FIAR studies (not sure how it can get more fun but :crazy: ).

LisainUtah
08-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I ordered 5 cd's and I am just curious about shipping times on these.

Anyone receive their order yet?

We cant wait to dive into these!! :hop:

Rachel
08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
I ordered several CDs the day after the sale ended. They were still marked down on the site and I was only charged the sale price. I think it was because it wasn't the first of the week yet so the site hadn't changed back to the normal pricing. I'm guessing that was the 9th. I still haven't received mine yet.

Rachel
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
How quickly should we expect these to get here? I ordered them exactly 2 weeks ago so I'm wondering when I should contact them. What have the others' experiences been?

CindyK
08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I think it was about 2 weeks until I got mine. You might want to check on it later in the week if you have not seen them. She probably sold a lot during the sale.

LisainUtah
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I ordered mine on the 8th and still have not received them...I also emailed her on the 17th to see what shipping method and time frame I could expect and I havent heard anything back yet.

Paige P
08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
I ordered mine the 7th or 8th and got them Friday.......

Rachel
08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks ladies!
Lisa, I bet both of us will get ours sometime later this week! I'm really so excited!

LisainUtah
08-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks ladies!
Lisa, I bet both of us will get ours sometime later this week! I'm really so excited!

I hope so Rachel! I cant wait!! :hop:

LisainUtah
08-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Mine came in the mail today!! Yeah! :clap: :hop:

Rachel
08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Lisa, mine came in the mail today too!! :hop: I can't wait to pop them in and see what's all there. I hope to row The Glorious Flight and Arabella this year so I'll be able to use those helps along with them. It's fun to find new things to get motivated and continue enjoying learning.
Have you looked at yours yet?

LisainUtah
08-24-2009, 05:53 PM
:hi:Rachel!

I have quickly looked over 2 or 3 of them. They look really good. I am looking forward to checking them out more thoroughly this evening.