PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for 3rd grade?

danielle-laryn
08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
My son is a great reader but terrible speller! He reads Magic Tree HOuse easily but stumbles a bit with Beverly Cleary. He hates to write more than 4 sentences at a time and his spelling is nothing to write home about!

Help!:eek:

Suz MamaFrog
08-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Have you considered Sequential Spelling?

Sequential Spelling uses "word family" lists that cross grade level boundaries, giving the poor speller the opportunity to learn basic spelling patterns with words that aren't below their reading ability or that seem "babyish" to an "older" dc.

My dd is much like your ds, only a couple of years older. She is doing very well with Sequential Spelling. I've seen great improvement in her spelling skills, though she's still a "poor" speller.

As to the writing, have you considered just a journal for him? DS keeps a journal and all I ask is that he do a prompted daily entry. He may only write a sentence or two, but a sentence or two every day adds up, and in the process is building his confidence and comfort level with writing.

HTH!

Blessings!
Suz

Jennifer in SC
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
My 3rd grader is loving All About Spelling.

Heather W
08-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Games for Writing by Peggy Kaye will certainly help with your reluctant writer.

I also recommend reading non-stop with him to improve his fluency!! Read to him a page and he reads you the next of something like Cleary or close to it. Reading fluency gets better with practice and taking turns make it go down easier.

Use his writing and reading for his spelling. Here's (http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/search/label/grammar) what we do. If you scroll down to the bottom and read up, you'll go in order.:)

Jeni
08-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I think your description easily describes most 3rd graders. ;)

Third grade is when most schools start to drop phonics and concentrate more on spelling and let their reading fluency build.

You've gotten some great suggestions and he sounds perfectly normal to me. Keep up the good work. ;)

We are using All About Spelling, plenty of opportunities to read and the LA from FIAR. That's pretty much it for my 3rd grader. ;)

debbie in ak
08-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I think your description easily describes most 3rd graders. ;)

Third grade is when most schools start to drop phonics and concentrate more on spelling and let their reading fluency build.

You've gotten some great suggestions and he sounds perfectly normal to me. Keep up the good work. ;)

We are using All About Spelling, plenty of opportunities to read and the LA from FIAR. That's pretty much it for my 3rd grader. ;)

:yes: Jeni is right about 3rd grade...dropping phonics and building reading fluency.

We are using Spelling Power, lots of reading, and some Institute for Excellence in Writing.

danielle-laryn
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks ladies- I am already looking into your suggestions and giving my boys some of the pre-tests. I really appreciate the help!:kiss:

Heather, I printed off your grammar ideas from your blog- looks like some good reading! I have already given him 3 sentences to journal- I tried letting him do it on his own but he used "I LOve" for the start of each sentence and he was doing this in 1st grade!:lol: I pulled the words he missed and wrote them on sticky notes to place in his room. Hopefully this will help- thanks again!