PDA

View Full Version : Teaching to read?

JenniferSylvie
08-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Last year we tried Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons, got to lesson 75 and still couldn't read, he can sound out a word, but he really isn't reading the words. You could put the same word down 10 times in a row and he would need to sound it out each time, it's as if he doesn't recognise it as the same word. Next we tried the Bob Books, same problem as before. It takes so long to sound out the words that he doesn't get the meaning of the sentence, and still doesn't recognise a word when it reappears a second, or third time. I've started just trying to teach him sight words, and that seems to work a little better, but he is getting so frustrated and half the time just guesses the words.

My mom has dyslexia, and is concerned that maybe DS has it too, I wonder if he has a real problem or if he is just lazy. He's 6 1/2 and if he can get someone else to help him get dressed he will, not that he con't do it himself, he is just happy to let someone else make the effort for him.

Any suggestions?

Robin H in VA
08-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Not sure what to tell you. My ds is 8 and we have been using 100 Easy Lessons this year. The thing with my ds is that when we are doing the lessons, he will say the sounds/words before I even get to them. He wants to rush through, but doesn't seem to be retaining anything.

We have started Study Dog at our local Literacy Volunteers office, so we will see how things go. I am not sure if he is even retaining this stuff either. :unsure:

We tried the Bob Books also and ds hated them (there's no color) and I too am worried about dyslexia and other problems.

Maybe it is just his age? My ds just started writing this year (he didn't have the motor skills before this year) so I am hoping that it will help in the reading department. Is your ds writing? Does he understand the letters and the words they are making?

I am sure someone else will chime in.

Kendall in GA
08-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Last year we tried Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons, got to lesson 75 and still couldn't read, he can sound out a word, but he really isn't reading the words.

I successfully used 100EZ with my dd; but, you have to complete the entire program before you have your student try to read (if he isn't already reading fluently by the end). It may be tempting to see if your student is "getting it" or if he can read b/4 he is done; but, 100EZ only makes sense in its entirety.

Btw, my ds completed 100EZ in its entirety and it didn't work for him (not sure why) so I had to switch gears. He was young at the time so we took an extended break from reading. I tried Sing, Spell, Read and Write the second time around. I started from the very beginning as if he'd never had reading lessons. It worked great.

Perhaps your ds is not ready? :unsure: Have you tried taking a break? Are you teaching him using an approach that fits his learning style? Have you had him tested for learning disabilities?...Just thinking out loud!...I hope that you find something to help teach your little guy. :group:

KathleenM
08-09-2009, 01:53 PM
I would get the dyslexia angle checked into if I were you. I'm going to be scheduling a couple of my kids to be evaluated at a local Scottish Rite reading center when they open back up for the school year later this month.

Check out some of the comments on this thread (http://www.fiveinarowforums.com/showthread.php?t=62821).

JenniferSylvie
08-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the replies:

Robin, no he really isn't writing yet. He tries, but still has difficulty forming letters and sizing issues. He does recognise the letters and knows the sounds they should make, he loved The Letter Factory as a little one and would watch it everyday over and over if I let him.

Kendall, he wasn' t able to read the words from the review each day, I didn't even try to have him read a book, just the words and sentences they have in the lesson and we struggled everyday.

Kathleen, I'm not sure where to go for testing. The local school district will only help if you are an enrolled student. We live in a very small community and I don't know of any other resources.

Are there any other resources along the lines of Letter Factory? We have the entire set, but now that he is 6, DS thinks they are too babyish.

Sheryl in NH
08-09-2009, 03:27 PM
My 6yo is JUST BARELY beginning to read. She has known her letter sounds and a few sight words for a while now, but would always fuss when we handed her a Bob book or prepared lesson from 100EZ. She absolutely refused to read. As she put it "those stories are lazy." And they are - silly, corny, useless tales of nothing.

What has worked recently is to have her read from our regular read-aloud books. We will tell her what her "job" is for that book. She knows that she is responsible for the first word on every page (or every other, or the first sentence, etc.), and because she wants to hear what happens next, she will read it for us.

The other thing that has been working is to write our own personalized primers. On a page in a basic spiral notebook I write 2 sight words that I want he to focus on. She copies the words below and then circles them in the text that I write for her. The text is just a few personal sentences for her to read. For example, her current passion is archaeology, so I may write something like:

A*** is in Egypt.
She can work hard in the hot sand.
She can dig big holes.
She finds old bones!
Is it a pharaoh?

Now words like "pharaoh" aren't easy phonetically and they certainly aren't in the typical sight word lists, but she will happily read it for me because it is an important word to her.

Writing a short story for each of the kids every day is a bit more time consuming, but they are both willing to read something everyday, without tears or complaints, so it is worth the extra effort in our house.

Laura F
08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Kathleen, I'm not sure where to go for testing. The local school district will only help if you are an enrolled student. We live in a very small community and I don't know of any other resources.

If you want to pursue testing, talk to your ped and ask for a referral for a school/education psychologist. S/he will do the same testing that a school offers, BUT you'll be responsible for the cost. Many health insurances cover the cost, BUT you'll need to check on your benefits.

hollyjean
08-09-2009, 04:23 PM
have you looked into Spell to Write and Read? I have heard that it has been very successful in helping people with Dyslexia learn to read. There is a learning curve at the beginning for the mom to learn the program herself...but it is doable if you persist (and there is a very helpful yahoo group)... it is a GREAT program if you stick to it...just worth looking into...I haven't found a program that compares...

KathleenM
08-09-2009, 05:00 PM
As far as testing... you may want to google and see if there is a Scottish Rite Learning Center near you - they test for free.

I did have some extensive testing done on my eldest daughter by an Educational Psychologist. She billed it to our insurance as "neuropsych" testing instead of "educational" testing, and the insurance covered it.

Don't worry about wrangling with a school psychologist for the testing, because they don't test for dyslexia. They generally only test to determine if a student is qualified for special education services.

We have gotten services for my eldest daughter at the public school by going around the school psych and contacting the school Speech Therapist directly. Often children with dsylexia symptoms or delayed reading (as in the case of my eldest dd) have language processing issues. We received 4 years of speech therapy from public schools to help with this.

Kendra AU
08-10-2009, 03:11 AM
You know, we had this VERY SAME problem when we used 100 EZ Lessons. It was nuts and maddening and insane, and to be honest I nearly lost it and thought I'd never be able to teach my kid to read.. I was freaked to the max.

Then, I invested in Sing, Spell, Read, & Write. We made HUGE progress and are doing fine. He's been reading us Elephant & Piggie books lately and writing funny stories complete with illustrations. I feel it's a victory, no matter how small it may seem.

I'll also add that since he's young enough we spent his 1st grade year REALLY focusing on reading. We started, despite his prior knowledge at the beginning (short a) with SSRW. He seriously loves the program too.

Kendra

Lisa Schafer
08-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Your child is also at the age when vision issues would likely rear their ugly head. You might want to consider having his vision/tracking/etc. tested. This was about the time we discovered vision problems with our dd, who btw, is still struggling to be a semi-fluent reader, and she's 15yo. :unsure:

She also reads better when she only has to read to herself...for some reason what she sees and what she says don't connect well. :( We are using Sequential Spelling, and this year she's meeting with a reading tutor three times a week who works with special needs kids. We're excited about that! ;)

He's awfully young...he may just not be ready yet.

Jeni
08-10-2009, 10:33 AM
He's awfully young...he may just not be ready yet.

:yes: That's my thought too. Some kids, particularly boys, just aren't ready until they are older. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, they are bright and intelligent in every other way, they just aren't wired to read until they are older.

The reason most people don't worry about dyslexia until the age of 8 is because almost all children have dyslexic tendencies when they are young. It's the ones who persist beyond the age of 8 that are a concern. I'm dyslexic, my oldest son is very mildly dyslexic and my second oldest son is just as dyslexic, if not more dyslexic than me. I've not sought testing for them, I can see they are dyslexic, why do I need a doctor to charge me money to tell me that? I work with them myself with great success. We use curricula that are successful for dyslexics. I work with them where they are and don't worry about where others think they should be. My 9yo is just now getting the hang of handwriting and he's learning quickly and enjoying it. His narrating skills far out stretch his writing skills so I write for him in those cases or he writes some and I write some. This is exactly what they would do in school for dyslexic children, they make accommodations for them to learn in the way that works best for them. You already have that freedom with homeschooling. ;)

If you are truely concerned about dyslexia in your son, start looking for curricula that works for dyslexics. Even if it turns out that he is not dyslexic, these programs work well for many kinds of learners so it's not like it would be holding him back.

Good luck. ;)