PDA

View Full Version : Daily 6 Trait Writing

Cindy in CA
08-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Comments please! Pros/Cons? Any info would be appreciated.

TIA,

:)

Cindy

carriejoy
08-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Is this the same thing as the Six Traits of Writing? (Voice, Ideas, Organization, Fluency, Word Choice & Conventions/Grammar)

If so, I had training in it as a PS teacher and really, really liked it. There are several rubrics available online that can help you pin down what you like/don't like and WHY. It also really helps in knowing what to tackle next, or just as a basis for a writing program. You can search for examples that show excellent voice but terrible conventions for instance and see how writing can be "good" or "bad" depending on a particular trait. It is nice to be able to give several good examples of a particular trait so the student knows what they're shooting for too. I have found it very helpful personally. That and the 5 paragraph essay will pretty much get you through most writing assignments in life!

Cindy in CA
08-11-2009, 10:37 AM
This is on page 17 of the Timberdoodle catalog. 6 traits are content, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and conventions..which include grammar, spelling and machanics.

This is by Evan Moor. It looks interesting. I haven't used a writing program with my soon to be 6th grader. He writes really well, but I was thinking it might be good to have some instruction. So far he just does free writing. He is writing a chapter book.

More thoughts?

Anyone use this?

Cindy

AndreaD
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I just got this for my 5th grader- I haven't used it yet- but I think we'll really like it. I needed a bit of direction to help him with his paragraphs and writing. I think it will be just right. My one drawback- I wish I had got the student workbook so I wouldn't have to make copies of each of the worksheet assignment pages for him. From what I could tell- you had to order the student books in a package of 5 (I think)

Cindy in CA
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I just got this for my 5th grader- I haven't used it yet- but I think we'll really like it. I needed a bit of direction to help him with his paragraphs and writing. I think it will be just right. My one drawback- I wish I had got the student workbook so I wouldn't have to make copies of each of the worksheet assignment pages for him. From what I could tell- you had to order the student books in a package of 5 (I think)

:hi: Andrea, great to see you! Where did you order from? I thought this was a student book, hmmmm. Not sure.

Cindy

AndreaD
08-11-2009, 05:24 PM
:hi: I had some amazon gc's that I ordered school stuff with this year- This (http://www.amazon.com/Daily-6-trait-Writing-Grade-5/dp/1596732989/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1250029318&sr=8-25) is the one I have- If I had this student pack http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?SeriesID=188&CurriculumID=3&TitleID=665&EmcID=2027 it would be super helpful- but I don't need a 5-pack! lol

Cindy in CA
08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
:hi: I had some amazon gc's that I ordered school stuff with this year- This (http://www.amazon.com/Daily-6-trait-Writing-Grade-5/dp/1596732989/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1250029318&sr=8-25) is the one I have- If I had this student pack http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?SeriesID=188&CurriculumID=3&TitleID=665&EmcID=2027 it would be super helpful- but I don't need a 5-pack! lol

That's the one I am looking at, just grade 6. I didn't even know about the student packs. So, you are saying you have to copy each lesson? Can the book be written in? Not sure I understand. Thanks Andrea.

Cindy

Shannon F.
08-11-2009, 11:20 PM
We used the six traits to teach writing too, loved it. I think it is a great starting place for kids. We also had several children's lit books to illustrate each trait, which I thought really illustrated the trait concretely for the kids. I can't remember all the books or I would give you the titles.
I'll probably start six traits with my son around 5th-6th grade.

AndreaD
08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Cindy- I guess you wouldn't HAVE to copy the pages- but before each week's section there's a 2 page teacher's spread that tells you what to do,- so on the back of monday's assignment is teacher information, and on the back of Thursday's is the next week's teacher information- so I hadn't planned on having ds just write in the book. Though I suppose he could.