PDA

View Full Version : ETC Users - A Question

Melanie
08-11-2009, 08:56 AM
My ds is 5 and starting his K year. We have the ETC primers (which I had planned to get through last year, but didn't) and ETC books 1 and 2.

Ds knows almost all of his letter sounds (he only gets confused on a few - like W) and is doing some very beginning reading (like, he realized that C-A-T spells cat).

So, if you were me ;), would you finish the primers or go ahead and start with Book 1.

Can you tell that I am terrified about teaching reading??? Thanks for your help.

Alice
08-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I would start with Book 1.

Tricia O
08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm in your exact position, and we are finishing with primers first. My son is on the last book (Go For the Code) and we started K in June. He was 5 on Feb 29, and he knows all his letter sounds and is even reading beginning Bob books, but I am not wanting to push him, and he still enjoys the primers.

ETA I made the mistake of pushing with my first, even though everyone advised me against it, those who had been HSing longer and were wiser, and I ignored them. :eyes: Also, my second daughter had some difficulties learning to read, but we put it aside entirely for a few months and then she was ready, so sometimes they just need time. My son has actually known his letter sounds for a couple of years, but wasn't really to the maturity to be ready to learn to read.

Holly S
08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Is he enjoying the books? I started DD on ETC 1 last spring and she was way ahead of the books. However, she really enjoyed working on them, and I decided it would be good review. If she had been bored, we probably would have moved up a level or two.

Gail in NY
08-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I did all 3 primers then went to book 1.....finished book 1 and now we begin SSR&W :clap:

Melanie
08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I did all 3 primers then went to book 1.....finished book 1 and now we begin SSR&W :clap:

Which SSR&W will you start with?