PDA

View Full Version : LOF HELP please.

Cindy in CA
08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Quick backround, we started LOF Fractions after Nicholas hit a huge road block last school year with MUS Epsilon. He did great with LOF Fractions and I was thrilled as he was doing math completely on his own. He is about 1/2 through LOF Decimals and Percents and having a heck of a time. He is up to the Bridge on pg. 103.

Now a huge part of our problem I am sure is me. Being transparent here: I am really BAD at math. I took nothing beyond the basics in high school and took no college math NONE! I am really struggling with this. How do I help my kid? I just don't get it. My brain is mush. Honestly I think I am dealing with some type of learning problem. Me, not him, he is very bright, I am very STUPID! So how do I help him?

So if I send him to school I wouldn't be able to help with homework either, so that is not the answer. He enjoys LOF but says it is too hard and it is not being explained. I can't figure this out either.

HELP! PLEASE!

:)

Cindy

Kendall in GA
08-11-2009, 09:51 PM
HELP! PLEASE!

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

:group: You're not stupid, Cindy...You know that!

Possible help: Can Nicholas ask Dad for help? Neighbor? Friend? Another hsing mom?

Btw, I have that LOF book. I can take a look and offer to help. What problem(s) does he need help with???

CJ
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
And btw, Stanley Schmidt is VERY helpful and open to emails. You son could send him a question about the bridge on page 103 and Mr. Schmidt will almost undoubtedly write him back.

lifeoffred@yahoo.com

Cindy in CA
08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
:group: You're not stupid, Cindy...You know that!

Possible help: Can Nicholas ask Dad for help? Neighbor? Friend? Another hsing mom?

Btw, I have that LOF book. I can take a look and offer to help. What problem(s) does he need help with???

We understand numbers 2,4,5, on the bridge on 103. The rest :confused:

We can't seem to find where these concepts are taught. I am sure it is, I just don't get it. :blush: I think too that word problems are a real issue for me, which I think are great, but not for me. :blush:

Cindy

Kendall in GA
08-12-2009, 07:16 AM
We understand numbers 2,4,5, on the bridge on 103. The rest :confused:

I've grabbed my book...I can help you; but, I'm running out of the door and will be gone ALL day. If you need still need help this evening I'd be more than happy to do so. Please shoot me an email w/ your phone #....I've lost it. :eyes:

(Btw, you may want to consider switching math curriculum in the future to one that is video based with complete instructions & step-by-step solutions. :) There are many great products out there. It's nice to have that option to help in our areas where we are not so strong. :yes: )

Cindy in CA
08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
I've grabbed my book...I can help you; but, I'm running out of the door and will be gone ALL day. If you need still need help this evening I'd be more than happy to do so. Please shoot me an email w/ your phone #....I've lost it. :eyes:

(Btw, you may want to consider switching math curriculum in the future to one that is video based with complete instructions & step-by-step solutions. :) There are many great products out there. It's nice to have that option to help in our areas where we are not so strong. :yes: )

Thanks so much Kendall, I was able to get his dad to help him. We may indeed need to switch programs. Suggestions???

TIA,

Cindy

Kendall in GA
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
We may indeed need to switch programs. Suggestions???

TIA,

Cindy

Two that I know of are Teaching Textbooks my guess is that his current placement would be TT7; but, you can have him do the placement test) and VideoText (starts w/ algebra, including pre-algebra).

There are others out there; but, I'm unfamiliar with them. You may want to start a separate thread soliciting recommendations/options to explore.

Btw, I'm glad that Nicholas was able to get the help he needed. :)