View Full Version : Draw Write Now

Susan in Kentucky
08-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Does this teach letter formation or just have the copywork there. Is is in manuscript or cursive? Is the emphasis more on the drawing, can I use it for creative writing/story starter?

I have one requested from a local library but it hasn't come yet.

Just want some details..............:lol:

Cindy in CA
08-11-2009, 11:58 PM
It doesn't teach writing, but is great for copy work. It does teach drawing. The books are beautiful and interesting and very nice for copy work, but no letter formation. It is manuscript. Handwriting Without Tears is nice for teaching letter formation, if you are looking for that. Really is a drawing book, but each pic has about 4 sentences with info about it for copying/reading that is educational.

Paige P
08-12-2009, 06:37 AM
I've used DWN for a couple of years now with late K, all of 1st, and part of 2nd (at least for dd1) as their handwriting/copywork/spelling (I don't believe in formal spelling until 3rd).

It teaches you step-by-step how to draw a picture -- animals, people, historical figures/events (there's a book on Native Americans, another on explorers, another on the US) then there are 4 sentences about the object at the bottom of the page. I have mine draw the picture (following directions) and then copy sentences (I determine the number based on their abilities, typically it's 3 or 4, for K it might be 1 if they do it then). This year I'm using handwriting paper that has lines on the front and is blank on the back, so the picture goes on the back, and the sentences go on the front.

Both of my girls, thus far, have LOVED this :thumb:

Heather W
08-12-2009, 07:15 AM
We got the whole set for Christmas for the kids a few years ago because when I borrowed them from the library my kids could not get enough.

they are fun books regardless of who you choose to use them in your home!

debbie in ak
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
they are fun books regardless of who you choose to use them in your home!

Susan A
08-13-2009, 09:44 PM
True for us here!!:roflol:

Laura F
08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
We love Draw Write Now and use it primarily for the drawing lessons. When dd was in K, she only copied 1 sentence. Now she's worked up to 3 or 4 sentences. If you're interested in tying the lessons to FIAR books, there's a helpful chart on www.homeschoolshare.com under FIAR resources.

Jen in AL
08-14-2009, 03:04 PM
We're using DWN this year to go with FIAR. I second the chart at HSS. It's great.:D My dc have a blast using DWN, and it is good for handwriting practice. It's fun, too.:cool:

Susan in Kentucky
08-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Thanks, Laura, I didn't know HSS had that list. We got Vol. 1 from the library today - I am going to see what dd especially thinks of it tomorrow. It looks great! I am probably going to get sketch pads for them this week, too.