PDA

View Full Version : What LA for a 4th grader?

Shannon 8540
08-12-2009, 11:56 PM
So what LA should I consider for my rising 4th grade girl? I feel she needs some good solid LA work this year (we have done very little in the way of Language Arts thus far) in addition to whatever we do in Volume 4. I am still waiting for it, so can't see what the assignments are like. Does LLATL duplicate alot of skills from FIAR? I would like to have something for her that is easy to keep going. I was also looking at Rod and Staff or Abeka LA. It is okay with me if some skills are duplicated, but obviously I'd love to make the most of the time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gail in NY
08-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Rod and Staff :thumb:

Tricia O
08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
My fourth grader is doing Queen's Language Lessons for the Elementary Child. It's very laid back, but it is great for us as we aren't ready for a more formal study of grammar yet.

http://www.queenhomeschool.com/productpages/Language%20Lessons/Language%20Lessons.html

Melinda
08-13-2009, 08:12 AM
I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish. The personalities of my dc determine which language arts we do. R&S or Abeka, though excellent programs, wouldn't fly around here because my dc do not like workbook pages. But LLATL, because of the conversational style, fits them (and me).

My twins love it; my oldest dd doesn't--but she picks up language skills naturally through reading and FIAR really helps her. My twins, however, need every.single.thing spelled our for them, so LLATL is a great help in that area.

FIAR brings in lots of extra language skills that aren't necessarily taught in workbooks, such as choices an author would make. My kids love alliteration and other literary tricks because of FIAR. :thumb:

DD in IL
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
We are using Abeka for 4th grade.

Rebe
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I agree that it depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what your opinion is of teaching heavy-duty grammar (including diagramming) at the elementary age (or at all).

I like Rod & Staff. But it's a traditional textbook grammar program, very complete. You don't have to do this, but if you want to, it's an excellent curriculum. It doesn't duplicate FIAR or BY lessons much at all (they are like apples and oranges, actually, which is fine with me and my eclectic hs style).

I have heard very good things about Analytical Grammar and AG Jr., which I might need to look into for my middle son, if he totally balks at R&S, which he might!

Laura W.
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I love Classical Writing, but it does have a huge learning curve for the teacher. Writing Tales is similar, but is a lot more open-and-go, plus has some hands-on, active learning. Both are great programs.

Another option would be FLL 3. I've used FLL 1/2, and it's excellent. From what I've heard, FLL 3 and FLL4 are just as good.

Blessings,

Laura

Kendall in GA
08-13-2009, 05:56 PM
My dd was in 4th grade last year. This is what we did:

* R&S 4 ~ I only had my dd do the composition lessons. She hadn't formally learned to write a paragraph prior to last year.

* BYFIAR ~ I used the lessons in BYFIAR to provide subject matter for her composition assignments (usually 1-2 paragraphs).

* Analytical Grammar, Jr. ~ used it for grammar (Although it is a very short program life happened and we didn't get a chance to finish...My dd will finish this year.)

Suz MamaFrog
08-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I'd have to agree that it depends on the child. My dc were using Spectrum LA workbooks, but they just weren't as thrilled about them as I thought they were. (This came out when I was contemplating my order for this year.) So, I asked them what they DID like. Here's what they said:

DS "I liked the old yellow book that Kelsie used to use." Turns out this was Primary Langauge Lessons.

DD " I like my workbook, but I want to go back to memorizing poems and writing letters and stories and stuff, too." So, she wants to try Intermediate Langaueg Lessons for everything but the grammar lessons. She wants to keep her Spectrum workbook for that.

So, what kind of learner is she? Workbook/Textbook kid? Charlotte Mason kid? Combo kid? There are so many good products for all different learning styles. I think it's s important to match the kid with the method as it is to have a quality product.

BTW, dd HATES Simply Grammar and other CM "grammar" books. Grammar in her mind should be learned ffrom a workbook or textbook, and CM books are best for the "fun" stuff of langauge..... :eyes: :lol:

Blessings,
Suz

Shelly L
08-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I bought my daughter the Abeka 3rd grade grammar workbook this year, and she really likes it so far! Other than that, I'm determined to do a 'from your own writing' approach to grammar and not sweat it so much this year, but focus on FIAR lessons, poetry memorization, etc. I will say that we were doing "First Language Lessons' but the repetition kind of got the best of me, so I skipped ahead and picked and chose what I wanted to do. I may still pull lessons from there occasionally. We are kind of eclectic, as you can see!

Shelly L.

Shannon 8540
08-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks ladies. I really don't feel I know what kind of learner she is. She does well with whatever I ask! Although I will say she is very hands on in her free time. She is always making something from a craft book. She also likes to draw and write stories in her mind, but I imagine that as her spelling and writing skills improve, I bet she will put the stories to paper. She enjoys reading and listening too. I decided to go with Rod and Staff for grammar - 3 days a week - and I think I'm going to go with the suggestion of Writing Tales, so thank you to Laura for that suggestion. I feel LA has been a weak area for us thus far and want to give some greater attention to it this year.

Kate K
08-16-2009, 09:44 AM
:thumb:

We started Rod and Staff in 4th (thanks to some great recommendations here) and we love it!

My dd is definitely a rules kind of girl and loves to to know clearly what the standards are (rather than learning from exposure what feels right) and this is a great traditional program for that.