View Full Version : Help with Biography activities?

08-14-2009, 11:06 AM
We have a boy's club in our homeschool group. Each month we read a Childhood of Famous Americans book- and discuss it, then do activities based on that person's life. I'm needing some ideas and input please!

Any suggestions for activities to go along with these men? How do the ideas I have sound in regards to 7-12 year old boys.

Mark Twain (I thought we'd made rubber band boats of some sort, or craft stick rafts?)

John Glenn- some kind of rockets maybe? Somehow learn about the solar system and plantes? any hands-on ideas- maybe mobiles?

Robert E. Lee- NO ideas yet- but I'm still reading the book- any help?

Milton Hershey - he worked at an ice cream parlor- so I think we'll make some homemade ice cream in ziplock baggies

George Washington- No ideas yet. ?

John F. Kennedy- in the book it's a big deal that their family was Irish- so I thought we'd do this one around St. Patricks Day- and do some sort of "Irish" or green activities

Jim Thorpe- I think we'll do some sort of olympic events-standing long Jump, 100 yard dash?

Julie Y
08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't have any suggestions but i just wanted to say that what you do have planned looks like great fun!

Marsha in Fl
08-14-2009, 01:56 PM
George Washington Carver- can you make peanut butter? or do something with it?
Thomas Edison- make a lightbulb? ( he had NUMEROUS patents )
Louis Braille- braille ?
Wright bothers- flying/airplanes/kites/wind

Love this idea, I might try it for women!:clap:

oops, just saw it was famous AMERICANS. I don't think Louis Braille was American!

08-14-2009, 02:41 PM
We did GW Carver last year- and it was great fun, and did the Wright brothers the first year I did it. They were both great books.

Marsha- if you decide to do it for women- I have some Notebook pages I've made up for each of the people we've done- if you are interested- pm me and I can email you the basic pages we've done.

Suz MamaFrog
08-14-2009, 03:10 PM
The Scholastic Biography Mini - posters are really nice. I ordered some for us this year, as we study Betsy Ross, Thomas Edison and others. I'd think they'd work really well with your group, as each boy could complete his in his own way and at his own ability. I'm not saying replace any of your activities, which sound like a lot of fun - maybe do the poster as a culminating activity at the end of each book? You could have a biography "art" show at the end of the year, too!

Rainbow Resource has them right now for 50 cents apiece......

08-15-2009, 09:04 AM
OOH! I hadn't thought to use the posters- these will be perfect to help them with their oral presentations in May. Great idea!