View Full Version : seventh grade language question (please help!)

Rebecca in Orlando
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
We have used Simply Grammar, Daily Grams, Abeka...and I am sure other curriculums....but I would love to hear your recommendations. I'd love something SIMPLE and straight forward.

Also, Do any of you use IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing). I have heard such good things about it from friends who do use it, but I'd love to know more....like, Is it time intensive for the parent? How much time does it take daily for the student? And any other info you might want to share would be appreciated!
I know I am last minute....I have the math, history, and 1/2 the science planned...but I have had a very difficult summer, and I am SO behind.

I truly appreciate your help and input!

Of course, when she was younger, we only used FIAR for our language needs! She has taken the SAT, and scores high in all LA areas! But, I know she needs some work in her writing.

08-17-2009, 02:33 PM
We also used, SG, DG, and others. The one that FINALLY did the trick for my ds was Winston Grammar. I had had it on my shelf for years, and not used it. I pulled it out in pure desperation and it did the trick!

Lisa in AL
08-17-2009, 09:25 PM
:hi: Rebecca,
Andrea, my 7th grader, is using LLATL green and doing well. We tried LLATL before and it flopped. I think a little maturity has helped. I notice an improvement in her overall attitude this year or maybe it is the excitement of starting a new year. I am choosing to believe it is the maturity level. :lol:

Rebecca in Orlando
08-18-2009, 07:14 AM
What is LLATL? Thank you both for your answers. I'll check them both (as soon as I know what that acronym stands for.

Hope all is well in Ashland Lisa!

Tricia O
08-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Learning Language Arts Through Literature

Lisa in AL
08-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Here (http://www.christianbook.com/learning-language-literature-grade-7-activity/susan-simpson/9781880892459/pd/9245?item_code=WW&netp_id=164692&event=ESRCN&view=covers) is a link to CBD where you can see Learning Language Arts Through Literature green. It covers grammar, spelling, literature, and other skills all in one book. :thumb:

Janee' in Texas
08-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Try looking at Meaningful Composition. That is one I am looking at for my writers. They also have a grammar program Character quality language arts.

08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I used IEW a bit with my oldest and it helped him IMMENSELY! It's a program I love, but am not great at implementing. I'm going to try it again this year with my second and try to go a bit further with my oldest as we didn't complete it. A lot of that implementing was my oldest was a difficult to teach child. I have to admit, the past year has brought great maturity to him and it was our best year yet.

We started Analytical Grammar with my oldest last year and I'm going to start it with my second this year. Another :thumb: up. It's grammar the way I think it should be presented. Simple, straightforward and finite. I'm not one who believes grammar should take 10 years. You can do AG in 1-3 years. I'm planning on my oldest finishing it in 2 and my second will do the 3-yr plan.

Just my .02! :)

debbie in ak
08-18-2009, 10:01 AM
We have used IEW for years and it is great!!! I get the predone lesson plans (This year we are doing Ancient History Writing). We are also doing Caught Ya, Grammar with a Giggle, and this (http://books.google.com/books?id=iXgSAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=grammarland#v=onepage&q=&f=false).

Rebecca in Orlando
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
You guys are all so sweet! Thank you for the great suggestions! I will look at ALL of them!