View Full Version : When do you do/fit in things like

Susan in Kentucky
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
dictionary skills
alphabetizing (to second & third letter)
parts of speech

Do these fit into grammar or what?

I was looking at some public school workbooks and things that my sister had given me a while back and some of the stuff in them I haven't really covered yet.:eek:

One of those 'oh, my, what have I done/am I doing homeschooling my kids' kind of days.:unsure:

08-17-2009, 02:01 PM
If you are doing copywork, some of that will fit in as you go along. When we encountered quotation marks in a verse DS was copying, I explained what it was- that works for him. Ds "got" alphabetizing in about 1-2 lessons so it wasn't a big deal. We've not taken a look at a dictionary yet, but once you've got alphabetical order it'll probably take you about 5 minutes to say "If you wan't to look something up, go in alphabetical order." KWIM?

For my younger child, I had a printout with the alphabet on it and a matching set of alphabet cards and I just have her match the cards up. Then we move on to putting the cards in order without the mat. We also have that M&D alphabet train puzzle that she works. This is something she and her younger brother do now and then when I'm doing school with the oldest.

For grammar, Book Close Outs put a bunch of workbooks on sale last year and I bought some on grammar, etc. and we just do a page or so from those now and then. It doesn't take long to bring your child "up to speed" if they are ready for the subject matter. If they've been reading or listening to you read, they already have a feel for grammer, they just don't know all the formal names. For instance, the workbook I have just covered synonyms and antonyms. My son had no problem identifying these- we both struggle with remembering what to call them (same and opposite just seems WAY easier). :lol:

I do try to take a look at my state's standards now and then and that's what prompted me to address some of these topics. It really has been just a matter of bringing it up now and then in an "Oh, by the way, you need to know this..." manner. That way I know I've covered it and don't have to stress that they are missing something.

Now if only getting them to memorize our address and phone number were as easy!

Heather W
08-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Here (http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/search/label/grammar) is what we do with some of those skills. Start at the bottom post and read up for the best results.

Often times I have them alphabetize the vocabulary words from the manual.

Those are all grammar skills mostly.

Any time my kids write anything we review capitalization and ending punctuation.

My Kers know that a sentence begins with a capital letter ends with a period. One complete thought.

I have a checklist any time they write which they use before they have me look at it.

Laura F
08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
These are all grammar/language arts skills but can easily be worked into other subject lessons if you're not doing separate language arts. We used First Language Lessons last year, and these are the type of topics that are covered (if you need something more formal).

Kendall in GA
08-17-2009, 03:15 PM
dictionary skills
alphabetizing (to second & third letter)
parts of speech

We do them as they come up in real life. Just this morning my ds wanted to look up "talent" during Bible. He got the dictionary and was able to practice his alphabetizing skills. (Btw, Make Way for Ducklings is an excellent intro to alphabetizing. :)) My ds also uses alphabetizing when he uses our children's encyclopedias...He has ample opportunity to practice such that we don't need to use worksheets to develop this skill.

Capitalization and punctuation come up in real life, too. Punctuation also comes up in FIAR. :)

Parts of speech arise during grammar.

Kendra AU
08-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I tend to mention them in off handed ways, but you'd be amazed how much of it is covered in FIAR lessons. For instance, I think punctuation might have been covered with Madeline, and my son still goes BONKERS using !!!!!! because he knows it shows excitement. ;) Sing Spell Read & Write covers it too in lessons, but I don't often pay attention with that. My goal was to start dictation this year to cover punctuation and grammar rules.

As for alphabetizing, we discuss it more then DO it. All though we had an online class where they had to alphabetize some words and they had NO problems with it. ;) My boys are often looking for something specific in the library so I've pointed out non-fiction vs fiction areas. Recently we discussed how books are in order based on author's names as well as what books are about.

While school age kids might have to do paperwork on it, chances are most homeschooled kids will know a library like the back of their hand. ;) School aged kids are allowed one trip a week to the school library where they are permitted to take out one book. Homeschoolers invade their public (which seems personal to them) library and can check out as many as they can squeeze on their cards. :D

I wouldn't panic, your children are still young and they have a lifetime ahead to learn all those wonderful skills. :)

Paige P
08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
We've done it through some FIAR work, though writing, though looking up words in a dictionary, BUT I also include in our hs day (starting in 2nd grade) Abeka Language Arts. It costs about $12, and it's about 10 minutes worth of work each day, but I feel "covered" ;)

Susan in Kentucky
08-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the responses. We have covered some of the things with FIAR - punctuation, capitals, etc. I think what happened was shen I looked through that ps book it scared me and made me question if I was covering everything.:unsure:

Thanks for your encouragement - I know I am probably doing more than I actually realize and just need to pay closer attention.

Thanks again.

Kendra AU
08-17-2009, 08:18 PM
:group: Susan.. you know I came across a math layout the other day of things kids in 2nd grade should know and I had a freak out moment. Then I had to scan through other stuff and realized my kids knew stuff from all grades so I stopped freaking out. It's so easy to think "OH NO!" .. you should see my husbands in-box, I'm constantly sending him notes about how I think I might be messing up. He sends notes back that say, "Um, did you notice when.. did.. and how.. responded.." :lol:

Oh, and as for FIAR grammar... My kids love showing their lapbooks to an Aunty who's also a teacher at a local school. She's always really impressed with the things we cover. Last year they took a lapbook from one of our studies in where we'd covered onomatopoeia & personification. For Personification I'd cut out little clipart pictures of various objects that the kids stuck google eyes on and named them. Their then 14 year old cousin took a look and was shocked because she'd JUST covered it, and she liked how we simplified what it meant with the clipart. ;)

08-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Susan, you might consider a basic list of "want to cover" either in general, or more subject specific and just keep it in your planner and as you cover things you can check them off - or you can review it weekly, monthly, yearly - whatever and it helps to know that you ARE doing things and being specific w/o a workbook panic! ;)

08-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Kendra, love the googly eyes idea!

FIAR does hit a lot of those things, but we added First Language Lessons this year to lightly touch on some other stuff. The first volume is for 1st and 2nd grade, but we waited till this year (2nd) to start ... so much of it is 'too easy'. But it's working okay so far... it's scripted as written but can be very conversational if you prefer, which fits nicely with the FIAR style.

(If it gets to be too much, I'll drop it ... but right now it's okay.)

Nancy Ann
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I have a second grader and I have thought about purchasing an inexpensive 2nd grade language arts workbook at Barnes and Noble not to have my son do the pages but as a reference for me so I can incorporate into more natural lessons. For instance if I know that in the second grade workbook they cover quotation marks than I can point that out in the literature that we read or maybe in some copywork we do.

Kendra is right about the library. I have between 20 -30 books checked out at a time!! Through reading kids pick up quite a bit.

I really want to take advantage of the Choices Writers Can Make this year with our FIAR.

When it comes to dictionary skills and alphabetizing we use that by just learning to look things up in a dicitonary or encyclopedia when a question arises. I think it's much better to teach those skill in a more natural way than do a worksheet where you alphabetize all the words. We have an animal encyclopedia and if my son has a question about an animal we go look it up.