PDA

View Full Version : Another Concern Re: Learning to Read

Virginia82
08-18-2009, 03:43 PM
After much research and lost sleep, we settled upon RME to teach our DD to read this year in Kindergarten. However, she already knows her letters sounds. So we are actually finding that she is going much faster than the book. She knows the sounds they introduce, and is easily doing 2, and sometimes 3, lessons a DAY! I pulled out an Abeka little first readers book, and she read the whole book!

I'm concerned about her not learning appropriate phonics before learning to read and thus having my spelling problems. How can I work around this and circumvent any spelling problems?

HollyD
08-18-2009, 04:04 PM
I used RME in 1st grade when my dc were 6 y.o. and they flew through the first 25 or so lessons. RME didn't have workbooks at that time so we used Explode the Code in addition to RME. I found that the two complemented each other nicely. We probably finished RME sooner than most but are still working through the ETC books for a solid phonics foundation. I understand that RME has workbooks now so hopefully someone can talk about those.

Rebe
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM
You may not have a thing to worry about. :) You'll run into lots (or at least some) moms who have dc who taught themselves how to read before the mom could even get her foot in the door. Many of those children never officially learn phonics rules (mine didn't). They can spell just fine. I actually start an official spelling program around 5th grade, and until then, just make sure they can read fluently aloud to me.

Some people are natural spellers and some are naturally horrible spellers. Learning phonics doesn't necessarily produce an excellent speller.

Of course, if you're nervous about it, there's nothing wrong with teaching phonics. ;) But if your dd can read whole books, just be careful you don't bore her or make her dread reading lessons.

I had a well-meaning hs mom scare me to death many years ago when she found out that my ds had taught himself to read without phonics. She told me that I needed to go back and teach him phonics or he'd never learn to spell or be able to pronounce words he was unfamiliar with. But it was very counterintuitive to me to teach phonics after my ds already knew how to read, so I didn't do it. Turns out that ds can spell and also sound out words just fine.

So it just might not be that big of a deal, and you can just let her read! Find her library books that she can read on her own and enjoy your new little reader! If you see that she's really struggling with pronunciation, or can't figure out any new words, then maybe you have some work to do. :)

Amee
08-19-2009, 10:36 PM
My son pretty much taught himself to read when he was three. :eek: We never did use any kind of formal reading program. I just answered his questions and pointed things out to him as we read together. There were times when he read words that had sounds I had never explained to him and I still don't know how he figured them out. So his phonics instruction was very incomplete.

Once he was reading fluently I figured I was supposed to teach him spelling and I tried for a while, but he wasn't retaining anything. Finally I realized that because he wasn't really writing yet, he didn't have a need for spelling, and that's why he wasn't retaining it. I decided to just put spelling off until he was older and doing more writing. For a while he had the most horrible spelling. Then last year he started doing more writing and made huge improvements. Now he is a really good speller. It just seems to come naturally to him. When he writes, he can usually tell if a word looks wrong. We still don't really do spelling. So he is great at reading and spelling, but he probably couldn't tell you many phonics rules.

I am a good speller, and I used to think it was because I read a lot. But my husband also reads a lot, and he's a horrible speller. So I may be wrong, but I'm starting to think that reading and spelling are totally separate skills. I think you should just have fun watching her learn to read. :) You can always review the rules later if she seems to need it.

Robin(CA)
08-19-2009, 10:49 PM
IMO, if you can read, you don't need to know phonics rules. Phonics rules may be helpful for those struggling to learn to read, but I wouldn't worry about her learning to read too quickly. If you have issues with spelling later on, address those issues then.

Congrats on a successful start! :clap:

Laura F
08-20-2009, 12:10 AM
I used RME in 1st grade when my dc were 6 y.o. and they flew through the first 25 or so lessons. RME didn't have workbooks at that time so we used Explode the Code in addition to RME. I found that the two complemented each other nicely. We probably finished RME sooner than most but are still working through the ETC books for a solid phonics foundation. I understand that RME has workbooks now so hopefully someone can talk about those.

This was our experience last year!

Michelle Pfeifer
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
And actually, my son know his phonics rules, but spells phonetically! So the reading and spelling don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Michelle