PDA

View Full Version : "Math on the Level" program?

ElizabethLinNC
08-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I thought that I first read about this program here, but now I can't seem to find any threads about it!

I have gone back and forth about whether I needed to have a math program, because my dd is really between kindergarten and first grade in her general math knowledge. She is counting well, by 2s, 5s, etc, shows good intuition about addition, subtracting, grouping, solving age-appropriate math problems, etc. I think that I'm going to treat this fall as "K 1/2" so to speak- maybe there is a term for it? So I'm not going to add a math curriculum quite yet, I think that FIAR and math games will be good.

However, I'm pondering adding a math curriculum after Christmas. Not certain, but I have to research things for a while. I'm very intrigued by Math on the Level, and was wondering if anyone here has actually started using it or has seen the materials first hand? And if so, what your thoughts are? :)

I'm also considering Right Start (but dh is not too excited about that, we have seen the materials) and Math U See just because a friend uses it. Also I keep hearing about the Funtastic Frogs and just started looking at that. But I'm very interested in Math on the Level because I love the concept and that it is geared for homeschoolers. The sample pages seemed good as well, almost conversational. But I haven't "taught" math before, so I am still unsure.

hollyjean
08-18-2009, 09:10 PM
try searching under "MOTL"...that might help...there is also a great yahoo group where you can ask the author questions. HTH!!:D

(I haven't personally used the program...yet!)

ElizabethLinNC
08-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Ok, thanks! :) I applied to join the Yahoo Group. I have read all the reviews, they look great. I'm about ready to try to start talking to dh about it, just hoping to find a few people who have used it to share their experiences with it. :)

Heather W
08-19-2009, 08:27 AM
I started this post last night but I was too tired to make it happen so I'm starting over this morning!

Jeni has lots of thoughts on this product and she's happy to share them. She helped me to decide this is the program that we would like.

I do not have it in my hands just yet (I'm expecting it today or tomorrow), but I have seen it and based on the reasons I made my decision I have some things to note about it. You can bet that after I get it and use it a bit I will do a thorough review of it on my blog!;)

For now here are a few things that helped me to decide:

it is open ended- the topics are provided along with explanations, but I don't have to follow them in any order (other than the basic operations/things that build on other things naturally)
I want to do a more Living Math approach rather than a textbook/workbook deal. MOTL is all about applying the math to real world situations and many are provided in the math adventures volume
I wanted to sit and do math with everyone at once. This isn't possible or at least practical with every student in a different workbook working on different things
flexible- it will appeal to the student who needs hands on and it's easily adapted to the child who likes structure.
It's more suited to working with my kids the way I want to without leaving out so much of a structured program to do so- with Horizons I was letting the kids skip too much and it was just getting to the point of yeah it's a cheap workbook but why am I even paying for that?
I'm enjoying working with all of my kids at once doing the same concept at their level and that is exactly what MOTL is all about
I can teach things as my kids are ready and not when the publisher says they are ready
The 5-A-Day Problems provide enough review without beating a dead horse with billions of problems.
I can keep track of what concept each child has mastered using the record charts.
I can tailor what needs to be reviewed and how often using the 5-A-Day approach.
financially it is one investment for the entire program for all of your kids
I think this program is much easier to adapt to different learners than more structured programs.

These are reasons that I wanted to buy it. So far the living math approach has been going VERY well so I'm anxious to have some support from this curriculum.

All that said, if you are a person who needs structure or you are not a person who will design the program as you go, this is probably not for you. If you are a person who just wants it all laid out and scripted, then this is not the program for you.

I wanted more flexibility while still having the support of a curriculum so it's a good match.

Jeni
08-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Normally I have tons to say about MOTL but I've gotta run this morning so I'll leave you with a few links and if you want to know more or have questions, feel free to post them here or pm me. ;)

http://cottonwoodacademy.blogspot.com/2009/06/we-love-math-on-level.html

http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60352

http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58760

Heather W
08-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I just want to say that MOTL is sitting down at my PO as of 7:40am this morning. If my mail carrier shows up without it this afternoon I'm going to share this fact with him!

Jeni
08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I just want to say that MOTL is sitting down at my PO as of 7:40am this morning. If my mail carrier shows up without it this afternoon I'm going to share this fact with him!

:lol: I still haven't gotten my RR package from yesterday.:angry:

It still says it's in Topeka but I don't recognize the ZIP. I never saw hide nor tail of my postman yesterday. Don't you know I will be waiting on the front step for him today. :roflol: