PDA

View Full Version : High School Maths, help

Wendy in SW MS
08-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Can ya'll help me out? Tim would like to take geometry this year. And Jen will be taking Algebra 1 (I hope! ;) ).

What is the best curriculum for these subjects?

Thanks!!

Marcia
08-18-2009, 11:37 PM
We've been using Teaching Textbooks, which I liked, but the kids not so much. We switched to Life of Fred this year. We just started, so I can't tell you if it's going to be a good fit for us or not, but I sure hope so! :)

Lori D
08-19-2009, 02:34 AM
We have used Key to... books, Teaching Textbooks and Schaum's guides here. They have all worked well for different reasons- I think it is more the student's temperament that makes a program a good fit. TT is what we are using right now and dd enjoys it.

Wendy in SW MS
08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
We've been using Teaching Textbooks, which I liked, but the kids not so much. We switched to Life of Fred this year.

TT is what we are using right now and dd enjoys it.

Yeah, but nearly $200.00 per subject?? I just can't do that!!

What is Life of Fred? And where can it be found?

Anyone with experience with MUS algebra or geometry? Or with Cornerstone Curriculum (Making Math Meaningful) algebra or geometry?

Thanks!!

Lindy
08-19-2009, 08:20 AM
We're working through MUS Alg. 1. We like the teaching dvd and it's going well for us. We plan to do the geometry next year.

One more plug for MUS, is a friend switched to MUS for Alg 1 for her son and is very happy with the curriculum. (and they are halfway through the book, we're only on lesson 4 but we really liked pre Alg last year, same format)

HTH:)

ShayChristie
08-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Benjamin is halfway through MUS Algebra 1 and will be starting Geometry this year. I don't have the Geo book yet, but the Algebra is going well. :)

Marcia
08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Here is the Life Of Fred site:
http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/index2.html

There has been several discussions on it here, so search it and you'll find some old threads. :)

Wendy in SW MS
08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Marcia. Reading through parts of the website, and some of the sample pages, this looks like it might be a good fit for my teens, too. And I think my little guys will be enthralled with the stories about Fred! ;)

One more question about Life of Fred.....are the home companions necessary?