View Full Version : Handwriting and copywork?

ClaireDevaux in SC
08-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Does copywork take the place of a formal handwriting program? Do y'all do both or just one? Im asking for my 6 year old boy who has been doing copywork, but I don't think he is forming all of his letters correctly! TIA!

Nancy Ann
08-19-2009, 04:28 PM
A formal handwriting program is not really essential unless your child is really struggling with this area. Many people rave about Handwriting Without Tears.

I used a workbook to teach the basic letter formations. It was called A Reason For Writing. I used the K version when my son was 4. I liked it because it had pictures to color on one side and practice writing on the other. After that I have only used copywork or writing assignments. It will really take a few years to be able to write really well. My son has been writing letters since he was 4. He loved to write on white boards or with paper and use crayons and markers. I never would have started penmanship so early if he didn't show an interest. He is 7 now and is just beginning to write neat. He writes something pretty much everyday just on his own so he has had lots of practice. In time your son will learn just as much about letter formation from copywork as a formal program, it just takes consistency and practice.

I find a formal writing program takes up too much time in our school day. Even if it's 15 minutes..it's still busy work that I would rather include with something else. For instance today my son made a list of what sort of things were used to make a salamander home for our LA of The Salamander Room. Yesterday he wrote some words and a sentence from the book he is reading. So it seems everyday we find something for him to write. So, I prefer the copywork method or just have them write something that directly relates to what we are learning.

One nice thing about the Reason for Writing workbooks is that they are copying bible verses. So that is an added benefit.

08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I use my own handwriting "curriculum" and use the copywork to consistently practice what we learned. You could use a premade handwriting curriculum the same way. Introduce a lesson from the curriculum every few days (or when ever you think he's ready for the next lesson, maybe he'll only do one a week or maybe several lessons in a row) then use copywork on the days we don't do a lesson to practice. After they have learned all the letters we continue copywork to and increase the complexity and length gradually to keep working on those skills. ;)

08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
With all my dc, we didn't begin copywork until they knew how to write all their letters properly. Once they knew all their letters in manuscript, they began copywork in manuscript. Once they knew all their letters in cursive, they did their copywork in cursive.

08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I use a formal program (HWOT) to teach proper hold and letter formation and copywork for practice.

08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
We do basicallly the same thing...HWOT for the K4 or K5 year, then once the child is forming all the letters properly, just incorporate regular copywork, a few sentences a day.

I use a formal program (HWOT) to teach proper hold and letter formation and copywork for practice.

08-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Same here. This year I'm using StartWrite software to generate my copywork sheets from our FIAR titles. So far so good!