PDA

View Full Version : Narration from FIAR?

ClaireDevaux in SC
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
For those of yall who do narration with your kiddos, do you use passages from your current FIAR book, or do you use something else? TIA!!!! Trying to put all of these pieces together.

Suz MamaFrog
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Do you mean narration, or dictation??

We do use FIAR passages for copywork and dictation sometimes. Sometimes we use other things. If it's a new FIAR story or a first time row, I'll ask for a narration after Monday's reading, but I don't ask after stories we've rowed before, because I know my dc know the story, KWIM?

HTH!

Blessings,
Suz

Amee
08-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I have them narrate about a variety of things. We do the FIAR story on the first day we read it. Other days we use things like Bible stories, a chapter from our current read-aloud, or FIAR go-alongs (fiction and nonfiction). They also narrate about things they do, like field trips and science experiments.

Kendall in GA
08-21-2009, 05:52 AM
I used to have my dd narrate the FIAR titles. I did it as if I was interviewing her for a segment on Reading Rainbow. She'd narrate (prompted by my questions) and I sit at the computer and type her response.

I'd forgotten all about this...Thanks for triggering my memory...I'd like to try it with my ds! :)

Christi in VA
08-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I do use passages for dictation.

Great idea, Kendall! My kids love the Reading Rainbow kids.

Nancy Ann
08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't do anything formal about narration but whatever book we are reading wether it's a FIAR title or a story from the library or a nonfiction book, I just simply ask my son tell me something from the story. Sometimes I will say tell me 3 things from the book. I don't do this nearly as much as I should. We read about 2-3 books a day and I should have him narrate to me once.

Amee
08-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Here is a fun idea for doing narration: http://www.pennygardner.com/narrationcube.html
I think it's especially good for a child who's just starting to narrate, or for having more than one kid narrate, because it breaks the narration down into smaller chunks.

Kendall in GA
08-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Here is a fun idea for doing narration: http://www.pennygardner.com/narrationcube.html

Thanks so much for sharing...I love it! :thumb: I'll be using this one. :yes: