PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Ruth Beechick's The Three R's?

Melanie
08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
I am just curious to know if anyone has used Ruth Beechick's The Three R's to teach reading or writing?

And thank you, Jeni, for reminding me that I own a copy! :)

Heather W
08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
:yes: Writing for sure. At least I use a dictation and writing laid back approach to grammar.

KristenS
08-25-2009, 09:25 AM
I don't 'use' it, but I find it a refreshing reminder to read every now and then. We're not real laid back with math, but are trying to be with the writing stuff.

Jennifer in TX
08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I am using her bible sentences for dictation for my 2nd grader, and we are also using WWE for copywork and narration. I love reading through Beechick's 3rs books. They have so much wisdom.

I might need to rre-ead the Language book today. :) I am trying to focus on language this year.

Jenny in GA
08-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I bought it and started using it when my oldest was seven and we began "formal lessons." I didn't know where to start, and the idea of buying "curriculum" made my skin crawl. (I was picturing boring, dry textbooks that we would all hate.)

I felt it was a good read and it kind of "got me going" but there just didn't seem to be enough in it to replace a curriculum. (Which, if I understood correctly, was a large part of the intention -- "you don't need workbooks or any other outisde sources; just use the concepts in this book for up to three years.")

We did the activities for a couple weeks, but there was hardly enough to last about 30 minutes (for all three "subjects"), and we quickly started getting bored doing the same things over and over.

For example, we did ALL the activities using a Hundred Chart in about ten minutes, and I certainly couldn't do them day after day (which is what she suggests.)

Some of the phonics activites were things like: Have your child read a word on a flash card. For every word they read, jump up one stair. Great idea, but after about two minutes of this, we're ready to move on, and there wasn't a whole heck of a lot to move on to.

After a week or two I started bringing in games and activities from other sources. Then I still felt that wasn't cutting it, and we eventually got ETC, MUS, and AAS, which I was very happy with.

So, it's a good read, and quick and easy, but I can't imagine using it alone, although I know many people do.

I also would have liked more information on how to approach phonics. I found that section lacking as soon as I read it.

She talks about how you pick a phonics sound, and have the student read and write various words with that sound. She then has a chart of all the sounds, and then you're on your own. No information about how to introduce them, or which order to best introduce them. And there was also only one example of words with that phonics rule.

For example, it might simply say "ai as in rain," so then you have to wrack your ... um, brain ... trying to come up with several other examples to make up an activity or lesson. It also didn't explain things (I don't think) like how "ai" tends to be in the middle of a word, while "ay" is at the end.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but it wasn't what I was looking or hoping for at the time.

Shauna
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
I used it primarily for lower-level math, and I use some of the ideas for reading with my preschooler.