PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the Draw Write Now books?

ElizabethLinNC
08-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I just ordered the first two in the series. We don't do workboxes. We are going to be using Handwriting Without Tears. My dd loves to draw. I am trying to wrap my mind around how best to use these books- just as a bonus activity? Tie it in with working on handwriting? Let her do it when she feels like it? Look at how they are "go alongs" with FIAR books?

They just seem great, and I don't want to miss out on the benefit of them. I'm actually considering doing the drawing component along with her- drawing is definitely a weakness of mine. :)

Jeni
08-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I've always just left them out as "anytime" books. They are the most referenced drawing books in my house. I encourage them to caption their pictures with the one of the sentences but I don't force them since it's a leisure activity. ;)

Paige P
08-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I use them as copywork for my 1st and 2nd graders. They have math daily and DWN. They have to draw the picture (and dd2 now wants to completely "decorate" hers -- coloring, etc.) and write some sentences. The younger they are, they only have to write 2-3 sentences. By the end of 2nd, they write all 4 sentences.

Robin(CA)
08-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I have a few of them around that the kids can use during their free time. I haven't ever incorporated them into school.

Kristina J
08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I know Homeschool Share has a chart that links the DWN books to the FIAR books. That is my plan for this year. Like when we row a certian book, we will learn how to draw something from DWN.

Jen in AL
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
I know Homeschool Share has a chart that links the DWN books to the FIAR books. That is my plan for this year. Like when we row a certian book, we will learn how to draw something from DWN.

That's what we do. I use the chart from HSS. Here are the links:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/DWN_FIAR1.php
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/DWN_FIAR2.php
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/DWN_FIAR3.php
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/DWN_FIAR4.php

Rachel
08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
I have tried to match up the lessons with our FIAR lessons. I'll either do it on a LA day or an ART day. Sometimes I'll do more than 1 LA activity and sometimes I'll do more than 1 ART activity. Sometimes not - this would be our only activity for that piece of our week.

I would like to use them more this year. I think I have just 1 more DWN book to get. They really are a fun resource I think. I have even changed up the copywork but used the animal and I plan to use that same animal again with different copywork. The more my kids draw, the more confident they become.

elizawill
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM

yes, this is how we use them! :)

Suz MamaFrog
08-25-2009, 11:33 PM
We match them up with FIAR whenever possible. Also, if there is another lesson (like Lesson 1 in PLL) that asks a child to draw something, and that "something" is in DWR, we'll get them out.

Sometimes, on FSF's, we'll have a DWR marathon, where I just throw a couple of volumes on the table and say, "Go for it!"

HTH!

Blessings!
Suz

Shelly L
08-26-2009, 02:32 AM
I hope to use mine more this year, and I tend to use it more with 'poetry' though will occasionally match it with FIAR if I can. For example, last week we read the same poem about a sheep every day for five days. During that time, she worked on a drawing of a sheep, including background hills, farm, etc. Because the poem was longer, I typed it up and she glued it onto the drawing. This week we are doing the same thing with a duck drawing, but are working together to make the ducks on the surface of the water, because we are reading the poem "Ducks Ditty" about ducks 'dipping' down into the water to eat. We are also doing "Daniel's Duck" for our FIAR book, so it worked out nicely. Eventually I hope to have her write out the poems, as well. I don't have her do the writing in the DWN books, usually. We mainly use them for art, but occasionally she will do one with the copy work on it out of the blue.

Heidi J
08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
I've always just left them out as "anytime" books. They are the most referenced drawing books in my house. I encourage them to caption their pictures with the one of the sentences but I don't force them since it's a leisure activity. ;)

I had one book and then picked up 3 more at the used curriculum sale. My 9 yr old has been enjoying the samples in the TOS magazine and I thought she might like it but my 4 yr old is picking them up lately. I've let her use them whenever and sometimes she will start copying the words that go with the pictures. The one day she drew an American flag and attached it to a wooden dowel. She's been carrying it around with her for the last week.

I'll have to add them in with our FIAR lessons this year. I'll have to check out the list from HSS again and make a note of which ones we can add.